cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pia
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Your Mcafee software download cannot continue because either there's a problem with your internet connection or the Mcafee download server is unavailable. To fix this, make sure your PC is connected to the internet?

Hi,

Got a problem with installing mcafee, am getting the error message in the title. running on windows vista, no problems connecting to the net. Main concern is that the mcafee server is either overloaded or down, so dont want to uninstall my current mcafee antivirus as there have been several viruses and trojans around my area.

Please help as I have disabled nearly all of my other protection programmes~ Thanks

8 Replies
pia
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Your Mcafee software download cannot continue because either there's a problem with your internet connection or the Mcafee download server is unavailable. To fix this, make sure your PC is connected to the internet?

Ok I have now uninstalled all the protection software.

Before i had a problem where it said 'mcafee enterprise detected, contact technical support'. However once i completely uninstalled everything the removal patch (which didn't work before) is now working.

When I ping through C: I get this message

'ping.download.mcafeenot recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

the hosts file seems to be ok, it matches the one below pretty well.

Going to reboot now, hopefully no more issues, if there are I will message here again.

pia
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Re: Your Mcafee software download cannot continue because either there's a problem with your internet connection or the Mcafee download server is unavailable. To fix this, make sure your PC is connected to the internet?

unsucessful, same message. trying again, if that doesn't work, what should I do

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

I trust that this is Vista SP2 and you have no beta browsers installed.

This could be caused by abnormal browser settings, infections or remnants of other security software.

Open Internet Explorer (32-bit version if this is a 64-bit system) and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK.

Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons.

Try again.

If that fails contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/10/10 8:14:08 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

I just noticed that you stated this in an earlier post:

mcafee enterprise detected

You are posting in the Consumer products area and I assume you are trying to install the home product.  Removing Enterprise products isn't simple if the removal has not been complete and you would have to ask for help from the Enterprise Help Desk whatever one you had contact with originally in your contract or post a question here asking how to remove VSE with explicit details of your system, browser, and any previous products you had installed:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/system/vse

Please try to keep the header brief please as the one here is a bit large.    The details belong in the body of the post.

Once VSE is out of the system then the installer for the home products should work.   The MCPR removal tool only works for the home products unfortunately.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/10/10 8:31:45 EDT AM
pia
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

nope, that was fine

pia
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

yes peter, you are right i had vse before this. is there any way i can check which product i am trying to install now?

i currently have no protection programmes on at the moment, if vse offers better protection than the one i am trying to install then i'll keep that one.

additional info: had a look, what I've been trying to download is only the download manager. Hopefully though this leads straight to downloading the actual programme?

Message was edited by: pia on 10/21/10 8:58:38 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Without knowing where you are trying to download from exactly I can't say what product(s) you are trying to install.  Was there no description on that page? VSE is antivirus pure and simple, however it is a much superior version to the one found in the home products, but the home product is a suite of applications so it includes firewall and SiteAdvisor (browser protection) and depending on the suite, anti-spam, Parental controls, Online Backup (limited) etc. etc.

Any questions regarding VSE must go in that forum I linked earlier as we have no knowledge of that product here other than it exists.

Edit:  The home product download includes a file labelled "DMSetup".

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/10/10 10:05:42 EDT AM
pia
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

All the advice peter gave was very helpful, the problem was that Virus Scan Enterprise still had files on the computer, after removing these the MCPR tool worked fine and the download completed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community