cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ribak31
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Would you recommend antivirus installation like Mcafee?

Been debating with my dad about this and I've been trying to find a lot of research on this, but am a bit stuck. From what I understand, Mcafee and other AV on iOS is pretty useless because of Apple using sandboxing and also because they blocked access to the kernel so scanning for malware is pretty much impossible. I also know that Kapersky has noted that Apple doesn't support third-party AV applications, but why do these large corporations make AV software for iOS then?

Labels (1)
2 Replies
krishna55
Message 2 of 3

Re: Would you recommend antivirus installation like Mcafee?

Hi @ribak31,

Greetings from McAfee.

Apple’s iPhones are renowned for their robust security features, making them some of the safest devices available. However, even within this secure ecosystem, threats like ransomware or phishing can still pose challenges. To address this, companies have developed mobile security apps for iOS. Let me explain further:

• Unlike Windows and other operating systems, iOS employs a strict sandboxing approach. Each app is effectively isolated from sensitive data, preventing traditional antivirus programs from performing deep scans.
  • These antiviruses typically require extensive system permissions, which iOS restricts
  • McAfee have created mobile security apps.
    • These apps function more like VPNs, password managers, or safe browsers.
    • They focus on privacy, identity protection, and safeguarding against threats within the iOS environment.
  1. the specialized mobile security apps enhance privacy and protect against potential threats.

Regards,

Krishnamanikandan KS

Wilhelmus
Contributor II
Message 3 of 3

Re: Would you recommend antivirus installation like Mcafee?

Not anymore  first of the annoying pop ups you get all the time .. and now since a short time when running a scan it starts Microsoft Edge web view2  what puts you computer/ Laptop to 100% CPU  am de-activated the auto renewal and will delete McAfee from my laptop ...
As well since there is no Help anymore just the community help center 

I have Webroot running already what is a good program  and will look into some other virus scanners that do not use Microsoft web view2   ... Edge is crap have it disabled on my laptop(not for nothing) .Now McAfee activating that crap when run a scan!

So to put a clear yes or no for McAfee it is deffi a No!!!!!!!

hope this helps to you to decide to use it or not

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community