cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mia245
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Won't Let Me Reinstall

So apparently there was an error updating my Security Center last night, so I was asked to uninstall McAfee. I keep trying to reinstall it, but I keep getting a message that says the download couldn't continue b/c either my internet connection is down or the McAfee server is unavailable. I've been getting this same message since last night and I'm at a loss at what to do. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

Labels (1)
10 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Re: Won't Let Me Reinstall

Hi Mia245,

Couyld you please provide the following information like;

What is the type of operating system ?

What type of internet connection you use ? (cable/wireless)

Do you have any other antivirus software running at present or used in the past ?

How old is the computer ?

Post me the exact error you receive at the time of download (if possible attach an image of the same).

Regards,

Dinesh K

Mia245
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi Dinz,

Thanks for the reply. I currently use Vista on my Dell Inspiron 1520 (I got the computer in late 2007.) I use wireless internet and I've never used another virus protection program (I've always been with McAfee.) And this is the error I keep getting:

"Download cannot continue

Your McAfee software download cannot continue because either there's a problem with your internet connection or the McAfee download server is unavailable. To fix this, make sure your PC is connected to the internet, or wait a few moments for the server to become available, then try again."

If there's any other info ou need, please let me know. Thanks again.

Mia245
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I'm bumping this, can someone answer this please, I really don't know what to do

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

Please follow the below steps:

Check and delete if there exists any other security software files & folders in C:/program files & common files.

Run the removal tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe   from and restart the computer

Run the preinstall tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe  from and start installing again.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Mia245
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Hmm, okay, the download got a little farther once I used the preinstall application. But now I'm getting a message that says:

"Unable to Continue Installation

We're having trouble completing your McAfee software installation because of this error: 12029"

Not too sure what that means.

Thanks again for your help!

Mia245
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Bumping again, sorry to be a pain, but I'm uncomfortable by not having this on my computer. Also, my main browser is Firefox, is that a problem at all?

Mia245
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Have to bump this again, still having a huge problem

Mia245
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Ugh, I feel like such a noob by doing all this bumping. But I REALLY need this solved. I've been doing so much internet research and I've come up with nothing. Calling McAfee hasn't helped me much either. I'm reaching the end of my rope, can somebody PLEASE help me? Does anybody have ANY ideas whatsoever? Please, I need help.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Hi Mia245,

I have requested for more information on this through your private message , please respond to it at your convenience so that we could proceed further.

Thanks & Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community