Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shassar1
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Windows Firewall is disabled, so McAfee Firewall is also disabled

Hi all,

I am having a lot of trouble here...

I never had a virus, ever on my computer. Been with McAfee for years since 2006 and yesterday I downloaded a book to read.

Well this morning fun things happened. First McAfee was popping up a lot of messages that some Trojans want internet access. I blocked access obviously. A few mins later a virus known as "System Care Antivirus" attacked my computer. It disabled Firefox and McAfee of course. I was upset because I can't believe McAfee Virus Scan was not able to detect let alone let the virus unleash it's fury on my computer.

I went to Safe Mode, McAfee was unable to detect the virus. I Googled this virus and was able to remove it with "Malwarebyte Anti-Malware". It got the nasty little virus and deleted it. I also ran the program again on normal mode to make sure it's gone. Well it is gone so as it seems.... Windows Firewall is disabled.

When I try to use "Use Recommened Settings" to turn Windows Firewall on I get: Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings Error code 0x80070424.

I did some research online...  have ran Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool, TDSSKiller from Kaspersky Lab, and HitmanPro... all came NEGATIVE. So, I am trying to be computer litarate.... I really want my windows firewall back on so McAfee can start working too. Oh and I did go to Services on my computer and I do not see Windows Firewall running just in case I have to make sure it's "started" and "automatic".

I am running on 32-bit Windows Seven Home Basic on HP Pavilion DM 1200 series laptop.

Thanks

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows Firewall is disabled, so McAfee Firewall is also disabled

Check also in services if base filtering engine is active and started. If not that will stop windows firewall as well i think. If so post back and I will get a tech to contact you, he needs to change some things on your PC , he has done this for many users here.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/287069#287069

Though this implies you have the zero access rootkit

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/error-code-0x80070424-with-windo...

This also has the steps to load the filtering engine a tech can do it for you if you do not feel confident.

You can try stinger and rootkit remover from here as well

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

on 05/05/13 11:25:00 EDT AM
shassar1
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Actually, I ran a program from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/464864/windows-firewall/ for an hour. AMAZING!

Windows Firewall, Defender and Security Center is all running!

Base Filtering Engine and Windows Fire that were not on Services before are now back. So now McAfee firewall is on and working, back on my Stealth mode!

I highly recommend to follow these steps on that website. It put all the missing registries back. All the files are legit and from Microsoft itself.

EDIT: On the icons tray I see a file named 474E.tmp. I think it's a remnant of that virus becuase it has the image I recongnize. Anyway to remove it either by McAfee shredder or another program? I can't find it when I search for it on my computer.

Oh and I also ran other programs previously such as Stinger. On the lab tools a representative told me to run the first, third and fourth which was Stinger, but neither programs did anything.

Message was edited by: shassar1 on 5/5/13 11:05:18 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Actualy if you gave me that you had an the error 5 message I would have given you a similiar fix but I assume you did not get such a message.  Good to see all ok now though for shredder go to navigation and features(or similiar link) and see if you have the option to install it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community