cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Windows File Protection / ATI

When I booted up my computer. It booted in low resolution with 4 bit. I reinstalled the graphics driver the the ATI CCC software.

The only way around, was to uninstall the graphics driver, but the computer is slow, as it is going to some other drivers, which are very slow.

I discovered in the Event Viewer:

(1) The protected system file c:\windows\system32\kbdus.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time.

(2) The protected system file c:\windows\system32\es.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time.

(3) The protected system file c:\windows\system32\sclgntfy.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time.

I ran SFC utility as recommended. However, as I am running Win XP Microsoft Meda Edition, it was asking for a XP Pro CD (known issue). Microsoft did not bother to update teh SFC utility, do can't run.

I have read about this issue in (27 pages worth).

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/36177?tstart=0

It seems this issue was fixed back in summer 2011. However, I don't know why I have this problem now.

I did have a trial version of McAfee running. However, I re-installed with a new downloaded licenced copy of Total Protection.

3 Replies
Greens
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows File Protection / ATI

The 2011 problem resolved itself in about 4 months but it seems to have resurfaced.  I, along with some others in a previous thread from about a week ago (WFP Errors), are having the same or similar issues.  It happened after the October 28 update.  In my case, everything is running fine but I'm seeing event log errors similar to yours (different files but the same ones as last year) and when I run SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes I get a WFP pop up error  ( Ehtray ) requesting a CD that I, of course, do not have.  If I disable McAfee real time scanning before running the malware scans no WFP errors pop up.  The other weird thing is that around the same time as the update, a slew of  "system files could not be restored to their origianl versions.  The RPC server is unavailable. " things showed up in the event log.  I feel reasonably sure that I do not have any malware as repeated, updated scans of McAfee, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntispyware are coming up clean with the exception of some tracking cookies that always show up with SAS.  Except for the files that could not be restored message, all other symptoms in my case are EXACTLY as they were last year, same files and all.   But some are experiencing (and were last year) graphic problems.

Another thread, "Conflict with Total Protection Update" also may be tied into this mess.

I feel certain that McAfee is involved again. I've not installed any new programs and as I've said, my scans are all clean.  If enough people complain, maybe they will look into it.  If so, maybe it won't take so long to fix it this year if they look back into how they resolved it last year. 

I'm running Windows XP MCE, service pack 3.  McAfee, and free versions of SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes on a Dell XPS400.

rajeshk4u
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thank you I am glad I am not alone!  So hoping there will be a resolution.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

In these instances it is best to start a session with Technical Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked through Useful Links at the top of this page (or the McAfee Support link, or right-click your taskbar McAfee icon and select Get Help).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community