cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_of_London
Contributor III
Message 1 of 14

Windows 10 Notifications Says McAfee Not Working

I think that this is a Windows problem and have asked for assistance there, but folk here may have had the same bother.

I have just been upgraded to Windows 10, version 1607. Since then I've been getting a Windows Action Centre notification upon Windows starting up that Windows Defender and McAfee are both turned off, and another saying that both Windows and McAfee firewalls are turned off. Clicking on these messages and trying to turn on the McAfee via the dialogue screens does nothing, except sometimes to set the Action Centre emblem flashing wildly.

I have checked McAfee, and it says that both of them are on. I have run McAfee's MVT checker and it says that my McAfee has no problems.

Windows Settings says Defender is 'Off'

Services at Task Manager says that Windows Firewall is 'On', but it cannot be turned off here.

Control Panel says re Windows Firewall: 'These settings are being managed by Vender Application McAfee', and cannot be changed -- but going to Advanced Settings (left-hand menu) and Windows Firewall Property, it says that the Windows Firewall is on, on each of the Domain, Public and Private Profiles.

So -- am I getting a clash between the two firewalls? Shall I turn Windows Firewall off at each of these profiles? If I did this, would this really turn off the Windows Firewall and stop any clashes, or might it lead to other problems? And why does the notifications say different things to what both McAfee and Windows Settings are saying?

I have checked for Windows updates, and they are up to date.

13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: Windows 10 Notifications Says McAfee Not Working

Windows Defender off and Windows Firewall controlled by McAfee is correct as WD contains an antivirus in Windows 10 and therefore should be off as it is dangerous to use 2 antivirus applications..  McAfee Firewall takes over from and supplements Windows Firewall.   There are no problems so I believe you should see an option to turn off those warnings, no?

When you open McAfee's interface it should tell you it is protecting.  That's all you need to worry about.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 14

It has been my experience in Windows 7 Sp1, on occasion the Windows Action Center does not recognize your McAfee Software. In past experiences, doing a restart usually would resolve the issue. Another way I resolved this issue, was I went into (Services.msc) and (Disabled/Stopped the Service) then restarted it and it recognized McAfee was indeed working.

Windows Defender is turned off by (Default) due to it also includes Anti-Virus capabilities in Windows 10, unlike prior Operating systems where it was compatible. For running 2 Anti-Virus applications can/will cause conflicts between each other.

As long as your McAfee UI states that 'Your Computer is Secure' you should be okay.

In addition as it states your McAfee Firewall is managing Windows Firewall, this is normal also.

I would recommend that you run the Latest McAfee Virtual Technician also to ease your concerns, however as you mentioned you have already done so.

Having said all this, perhaps one of my Colleagues whom run Windows 10 could quite possibly add to the discussion.

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Oooops, due to this platform I was not aware Peter was replying   Guess 2 replies are better than one..LOL.

Moved from Home User Assistance > Consumer > General Discussion

By

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

If you're really concerned run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any problems.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If you need Technical Support, it's a free phone call or online chat: Contact Support

sivasubramanian
Message 6 of 14

@Paul_of_London

Please follow the steps as Peter suggested. Also please do Right Click in M icon from System Tray and select Check for updates. Screen shot below

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
Paul_of_London
Contributor III
Message 7 of 14

I've run MVT as suggested and it shows nothing wrong. Presumably it would flag up a problem if there was a clash with Windows Firewall and/or Defender.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

Then you should tell Windows to stop warning you about it the next time it happens.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

I am inclined to agree with Colleague Ex_brit, as long as your McAfee Security Center reports 'Your Computer is Secure' I would not be concerned.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

If it is all the same with you, I am going to mark this thread as 'Assumed Asnswerd'

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community