Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 44

Re: Windows 10 Being Released on July 29, 2015

thecreator wrote:

Ex_Brit wrote:

I multi-boot 2 x Win 7 SP1 (the 2nd one has beta McAfee on it) and Win 8.1 Pro w/MC patch 1 included.  I've been offered the upgrade on all of them but am, for now at least, going to accept only on my 2nd Win 7 and maybe my Win 8.1 when it's offered.

I have concerns about 3 things mainly:

1. Will my email client (Incredimail 2.5 Premium) be compatible (have asked them, no response thus far) as I have a huge amount of stored emails and it's not easy to transfer them to other EM clients, and

2. Will my Windows Fax & Scan work plus

3. Will Windows Media Center work,

Both of which I use extensively.

Hi Ex_Brit,

1. No Idea.

2. I think they will be part of Windows 10.

3. - No. Windows Media Center I read, has been cut from Windows 10.

Details: Windows 10 upgrades: Microsoft gives with one hand and takes with the other

Well re: Media Center I can always use my Nero 2014 one or the one that comes with my Cyberlink Power DVD 15, assuming either one will work in 10 of course.   They probably will as both are currently saying they will work.   I wish Microsoft would stop chopping bits and pieces off.  The rot started with the switch from Vista to 7 with no email,  then with 8 bang went Aero.   I have to install software to bring it back, crazy but understandable I suppose.

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 44

Hi thecreator,

I thought the upgrade to Windows 10 was optional, but from what you've said it sounds as though it's a compulsory upgrade...?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 44

No - see the picture I posted.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 14 of 44

wixey wrote:

Hi thecreator,

I thought the upgrade to Windows 10 was optional, but from what you've said it sounds as though it's a compulsory upgrade...?

Hi wixey,

The upgrade is optional. What I am saying, if you like to get Windows 10 Upgrade for Free, then it needs to be done going through the operating system. I don't think that Dual-Booting is allow. But there are ways to get around it, if you have the patience and know how to pull it off. It involves using Drive Images of the operating system and installing the Dual-Boot option, prior to the of Beta.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 44

Remember all the fuss about that Microsoft update that implied the hard sell for Windows 10? Here it comes ...

Any upgrade of course is optional but Microsoft are determined that everyone on the planet is going to have it, or else.

Once the marketing begins you have one year to get it free, and then it will cost you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 44

Dual boot as in 2 systems with 2 separate licenses is fine, each will be looked on as its own entity, cloned systems, well you are on your own there as always.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 17 of 44

Hi All,

You get Windows 10 for Free, but you can also Move it to a Separate partition afterwards.

Just remember you need to set up Dual-booting prior to the Windows 10 Beta Disk that you can burn, has expired.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 44

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 44

It's interesting.  I can't get it to be offered on my Dell Mini 10 netbook which, although having W7 SP1, is slap-bang on the minimum requirements for memory and processor.  So it's doomed.  No big deal really as it's only a last resort machine anyway as it's so slow to use.   I was hoping it might work as, not sure why but I thought it might be faster using Win 10.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community