cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samson2581
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Why does my McAfee Firewall and Protection turn of everytime I shut down for Updates and I need to reset it.? My PC alerts me to Problem Solving and I constantly get that notice. When I check McAfee everything is in red and I need to reset them.

When I install any Microsoft Updates or anything that requires my lap top to shut down, when I bring it back up I get a PC Alert that my McAfee Firewall and Security is not on.  I bring up McAfee and everything is in Red and off.  It comes right back up each time I reset it.  I have no problems other than that, and absolutely love McAfee, but how do I fix that.  When I run Virtual assistance, nothing is found there.  Maybe if I would run Virtual Assistance before I reset it may be able to find that issue.  I plan to try that the next time I have updates installed.  Until then, anyone who has had this same issue, advise would be a blessing.  

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why does my McAfee Firewall and Protection turn of everytime I shut down for Updates and I need to reset it.? My PC alerts me to Problem Solving and I constantly get that notice. When I check McAfee everything is in red and I need to reset them.

Are you by any chance using Windows 8 or 8.1 and have Hybrid Boot/Fast Startup enabled?    This causes endless issues because it never really shuts the system down for an update to take properly.  It can be turned off:  Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

The Virtual Technician often fixes things without much effort and you could always run it just in case there's a problem:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/   You can always uninstall it afterwards.  It will be listed a sa regular program in Control Panel.

If this is another operating system or that didn't help then post back with more details please, or you can obtain free TechnicalmSupport by phone or online chat via the link below:

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

samson2581
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Why does my McAfee Firewall and Protection turn of everytime I shut down for Updates and I need to reset it.? My PC alerts me to Problem Solving and I constantly get that notice. When I check McAfee everything is in red and I need to reset them.

I checked my Updates.  The SP1 was installed on Sep 13, 2014.   I have had Internet Explorer 11 for quite sometime now.  Actually had it before installing my new subscription of McAfee Plus in July of this year.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

"McAfee Plus"?  What is the exact name of the suite?  (Usually listed by name in Control Panel > Programs and Features.  Also did you run the Virtual Technician as I suggested?  

If the problem surfaces again afterwards, Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked in my signature in the post above.  It's so big I don't post it ion every reply I make.

samson2581
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

McAfee Antivirus Plus.   I also have Site Advisor.  I did run the Virtual Technician.  Found no issues.  But as I said I ran it after I went into McAfee and turned on the Firewall and Security.  I hope I can run Virtual Technician the next time it does this without the Firewall on.  I am very careful about going on the Internet unless everything is up and running.  I know I can call or chat with McAfee, but hate to bother you if it is something simple I can do.  I usually get Updates at the first of every month from Microsoft.  That is when it happens.  Never does with McAfee Updates.  Also, I never download from sites on my computer.  Just updates that come in from Microsoft automatically and I am then notified they are ready to install.  I have noticed this problem happening for about 3 months now.  Just decided I should check it out on here to see if it is a common occurrence and how to solve it.   Like I said it always resets when I open McAfee and click to turn on again.  I am very diligent about checking if everything is working especially since this issue showed up, before I go on line.  Thank you for responding.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Well it sounds like you are doing all the right things.   Microsot issues major updates for all systems on the second Tuesday of every month and it's always wise to reboot after installing them.

If the problem continues the first thing Technical Support would probably tell you to do is uninstall all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features, then run the MCPR cleanup tool reboot and then reinstall from the online account.

If you want to preempt the issue you could try that before the updates and see if things behave differently.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community