cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joanna2z
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Why did I just get charged 312.00 to fix my connectivity problem with McAfee tech support ?!!

I had a message FROM McAFEE on my computer saying I had upgrades needing to be installed and my computer would restart. Well, it didn't restart, but just stopped working. I spent about 6 hours trying to fix my computer ( an HP PC) and finally remembered that the problem started when I followed my McAfee instructions. I opened it in a Safe Mode and checked out the McAfee security suite status, and it said I was FULLY PROTECTED with no viruses, etc. So I went to the website and called the tech support number. Lo and behold, the first thing on the recording is a message about how McAfee users have lost their internet connectivity and how to fix it, so they obviously knew this was a bigg OOOPS.  So I kept trying to restart my computer, and got nowhere, called LIVE tech support, and suddenly I have to pay 299.00 & 20.00 tax (?) in order for them to 'fix the problem' which their software MISSED..They said that in order to fix it they will need to install a NETWORK FIREWALL ( I thought I HAD a firewall with my software ?) and it's the only way I can get my computer fixed. Oh and the firewall is good 'forever' and will cover my other computer ( A Mac Laptop, which I never have had a problem with). I feel like this is just some lousy sales gimmick and they should have just helped me because I have alreasdy bought their security software.  It is now 2 hours later, I am still running a Debug Program, and next I get to reinstall my entire Windows 7 operating system, and will probably lose a BUNCH of unsaved data. I plan to contact my local consumer affairs office about this practice, and the Washington Post to see if this virus is newsworthy. I feel like I really got ripped off by tech support.

1 Reply
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 2

Re: Why did I just get charged 312.00 to fix my connectivity problem with McAfee tech support ?!!

1 post re this enough so let it stay and this 1 locked.

Post re this in this thread

https://community.mcafee.com/message/255215#255215

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/09/12 7:54:11 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community