cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saramcpa
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Why can't I connect to the internet after installing McAfee

We installed mcafee anti-virus on our pc.   As soon as this software was installed I lost access to my internet on the computer I had installed it on.  I powered down my computer, turned off my router and modem and rebooted.  I still did not have access.  My router was able to send out wireless signals to other laptops within my house and was capable of being pinged by our ISO provider so the issue was purely with this computer.   I called up mcafee support as to what might be causing this issue and they told me to install a patch by accessing my email.  However, since I did not have access to the internet I was unable to access this patch.  I then uninstalled McAfee with fears of firewall conflicts with my router, but this still didn’t improve the situation.

I then opened my command prompt and confirmed I was not able to ping any other website.  I then ran the following commands to rebuild my ip configuration. 

1. Ipconfig/flushdns
  2. Ipconfig/registerdns
  3. Ipconfig/release
  4. Ipconfig/renew

I still could not log on and the ip address on the computer began with  169.254 instead of 192.168.  

I’m still unable to get online, but can’t help but to think that this all started when I downloaded and installed mcafee.

9 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: Why can't I connect to the internet after installing McAfee

Hi saramcpa,

Please verify if you have removed McAfee completely off the PC by going through programs and features list – Ensure McAfee is nt listed . Alternatively, McAfee programs would be disabled in safe mode with networking .

Please restart your PC and while it restarts, keep tapping the F8 key.

You would be in the advanced boot options menu

From here, select safe mode with networking with your up/down arrow keys on keyboard

Press enter for the selection

Once you are at the desktop , try to open your web browser and access Internet 

If you are still unable to connect , its best to check with your ISP

Thanks,

saramcpa
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I will follow your instructions and let you know the results.  Just an FYI, I do have access to the internet via wi fi on my laptops.  I can not, however, connect on the pc.

saramcpa
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

We booted up with Safe Mode with Networking  and were UNABLE to connect to the internet.

We then tried to restore our system settings to a date before the installation and still can’t connect.

amjad
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Have you checked your IP configurations and firewall settings?

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Then the best would be contact your ISP and let them check from their end for connectivity issues .

Thanks,

saramcpa
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

They have and there are no issues contacting the router.  We don’t have a valid IP address as I pointed out in the prior summary email.  I can’t tell if our firewalls are the issue or not.

saramcpa
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

So, in summary:

We installed mcafee anti-virus on our pc.   As soon as this software was installed I lost access to my internet on the computer I had installed it on.  I powered down my computer, turned off my router and modem and rebooted.  I still did not have access.  My router was able to send out wireless signals to other laptops within my house and was capable of being pinged by our ISO provider so the issue was purely with this computer.   I called up mcafee support as to what might be causing this issue and they told me to install a patch by accessing my email.  However, since I did not have access to the internet I was unable to access this patch.  I then uninstalled McAfee with fears of firewall conflicts with my router, but this still didn’t improve the situation.

I check on our IP address and noticed an address starting with  162..254, which seemed to indicate a “stacked IP”, which I found out occurred with other McAfee installations on discussion boards.

I then ran the following commands to flush my current ip configuration. 

1. Ipconfig/flushdns
  2. Ipconfig/registerdns
  3. Ipconfig/release
  4. Ipconfig/renew

I still could not log on and the ip address on the computer began with  169.254 instead of 192.168.  

I tried to rebuild the IP configuration within my registry, which DID NOT work.

We bought and installed a network card, which did NOT resolve anything.

We purchased a new router, which did NOT resolve anything.

Finally, we purchased a new Operating System and re-installed Windows which DID resolve the issue, which proved it had nothing to do with any of our equipment.

I can't believe Mcafee could not even help me with this issue. 

I purchase a renewal product from Mcafee that terminated my ablity to connect to the internet and cost me a fortune to figure out and correct!

cheekymonkey
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

saramcpa  this sounds so similar to my problem i just been posting.

unlike your i can connect to the internet but couldn't access my hotmaill account which if you see my post hotmail was adament was due to mcafee?!?!???

anyway i have similar problems like you did as mcafee so far have been unable to answer my questions either on here, by phone or any other means at present.!!

its has cost me a fortune too in calling up all these bloody numbers.!!!!!!

glad yours was resolved eventually.!!

karthiks
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

Please update me the following :

What is the Operating system you are using ? Windows 7/ Vista/ XP (update me with Service Pack)

What is the type of internet connection you are connected ? Cable/ DSL/Wireless

Whether you are able to access the internet by diagnosing the connection ?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community