cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minsc
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

What happens when your subscription ends?

As I stated in the title, what happens?

Does the suite still work (such as the firewall still doing its job based on your connection choices), but no more updates are received, or does it all stop working completely?

(I know! Been asking a lot of questions this week, and this is the final one, I think . Having a whilst I'm at it blowout!!)

8 Replies
minsc
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: What happens when your subscription ends?

A quick summary will do, mods.........

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 9

Vaguely, it won't provide you with the same level of protection it does when it's active. You will no longer have access to software updates or database definitions. This is a problem because your software won't update with the most recent bug fixes or enhancements to how the software functions and if your database definitions become outdated, you're no longer protected from the most recent virus threats. Once your anti-virus software's subscription has reached its expiration date, you must decide on whether to re-subscribe, purchase another solution, or install a free solution because after a matter of a week or two, your computer will become susceptible to many different virus threats.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Thanks Sanjay...Have been busy with errands

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
minsc
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Yes, I gathered that you'd receive no more updates, and understand the implications of that, but do things like your firewall and Anti-Virus still work?

I'd feel much happier purchasing a new security suite online on a machine with the firewall and anti-virus still functioning, but definitions only a few days out of date (especially if free utilities like MalwareBytes give it the thumbs up) than on a machine with everything disabled.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

The software slowly shuts down so the firewall will work for a while, the antivirus will work but only with stale-dated protection  so it's basically useless.

It becomes a security risk after that.

When a subscription ends you should uninstall the software asap if you don't intend to renew.

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 9

The antivirus only manages Windows Firewall. The firewall would still work to the extent of the last threat intelligence update it received in the form of updates. As mentioned in my previous reply within a week or two after the last definition update you're computer becomes vulnerable to latest threats. Theoretically your antivirus is good until then, however I wouldn't recommend you to wait until your antivirus subscription runs out to renew the subscription. It's always safer and easier to renew it while its active. Your renewed subscription starts only after your existing subscription ends.

PS: I would recommend you to contact support if you still have further questions/apprehensions about the product. It would be more productive and less time consuming. Tech Support is always available 24x7 at https://service.mcafee.com.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 9

Sorry Peter, didn't see your reply. Apparently, Jive logged me out.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

No problem 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community