cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buford
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

What are the first steps you take when?

We all have security of some sort,and when that fails and we get infected what are the step by step instructions thru Mcafee too fix and get rid of a virus or trojan that has infected your computer....

5 Replies
user_107544
Contributor III
Message 2 of 6

Re: What are the first steps you take when?

Hi Buford,

You can find answer to your question by browsing this weblink : http://service.mcafee.com/FAQSearch.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1

Hope this helps you...

Regards

Rakesh P

McAfee Technical Support

buford
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Why does Mcafee charge a fee to remove a virus etc...When you are running there security suite and all is updated and you feel that you are protected...

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hello buford,

Quite an interesting question, Infections can sometimes occur silently, by visiting a website containing malicious code.  Other times, a user can allow an infection by installing a program or plug-in, hiding malware within its code.  These programs are often disguised as free search utilities, screensavers or are even labeled as 'critical software updates'.  Even a protected PC can be made vulnerable under these circumstances.

We at McAfee's Virus Research team are constantly updating its library of 'known' viruses and spyware.  At the core of McAfee software is something called 'heuristic' protection...which looks for suspect behavior by any program or file.  Even so, the constantly-changing nature of viruses and their different variants makes 100% security impossibility, with any anti-virus software.

Adding to this please follow these security tips which will help you out to browse safely online.
https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1121

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi Buford,

This link will also assist in resolving virus and malware issues

buford
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for the info,and the links to run scan and stinger,I recently paid $75.00 to have my PC wiped clean because of a virus,malware,torjans,I was all updated thru Microsoft Updates,Mcafee...And when i booted back up and reinstalled Mcafee from my account i surprised to see Security 10 come up,and then i started to think that Mcafee let me down when they failed to upgrade me,even though my account is up to date and does not expire until late this yr..So if my pc gets infected again,i will know where to go and download scans,stingers,and other helpful documents in order for me too fix my own pc myself..Once again thank you!!!!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community