Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1 of 9

Web Protection seems to have gone

Jump to solution

I have McAfee total protection. When I purchased it, it included a web protection feature which warns me if I try to go to a bad web site. Now when security scan plus runs it tells me that "Your WebAdvisor software is off or disabled"  If I click on "learn more" it takes me to a web site that wants to sell me a product called "McAfee Identity Theft Protection Plus". What has happened to the web advisor I used to have ? Can I tell if it is still active ? IS there a web site I can try to go to that will cause it to warn me ( one that is not reall bad, I don't want to cause a problem with my computer ). ? Please can you help ?  Thanks. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sarnia
Contributor III
Message 4 of 9

Re: Web Protection seems to have gone

Jump to solution

Just to add to my previous post a little information about Security Plan Plus.

SCC+ has no protection capabilities. It scans and just tells you if security is compromised and then suggests a Mcafee product, as you found!

If you do have Total Protection installed and it says you are protected then you are Ok.

In any event you can, if you wish, uninstall SCC+ from the Contol Panel in the usual way.

Good luck

Sarnia

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

I know that there used to be a file called "mcsacore.exe" because I had a problem with this file a couple of years ago. A Scan of my computer no longer finds this file.

sarnia
Contributor III
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

I don't know why your web advisor vanished but have you tried to download it again.

So long as you have Windows 10 /8/8.1 or 7 and IE 11/10 or 9 it also recommends that you use IE to download from this link

https://www.mcafee.com/consumer/en-us/store/m0/catalog/mwad_528/mcafee-web-advisor.html

If this link doesn't work then just google mcafee web advisor

Hope this helps, let us know.

Sarnia

sarnia
Contributor III
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Just to add to my previous post a little information about Security Plan Plus.

SCC+ has no protection capabilities. It scans and just tells you if security is compromised and then suggests a Mcafee product, as you found!

If you do have Total Protection installed and it says you are protected then you are Ok.

In any event you can, if you wish, uninstall SCC+ from the Contol Panel in the usual way.

Good luck

Sarnia

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. I downloaded and installed Webadvisor. Security scan now says that it is there. Is there a web site I can go to, to trigger a web advisory ? ( one that won't hurt my computer if web advisor isn't working ). Thanks.

sarnia
Contributor III
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

There are sites to do the test you want to do but I haven't used them and really I don't see the point. Web Advisor does what it says on the tin, it tells you a site is safe with the green indicator and red if it's not.

If you click the little green arrow next to the Web Advisor icon at the top right of your screen and select options you can check to see if 'Tell me if a search result is safe in any search engin' then web advisor will work with all search engins, if secure search is selected then web advisor works only with Yahoo.

All the best

Sarnia

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

I am seeing something strange. After I installed WebAdvisor I ram Security Scan Plus, and it told me that Web Protection was on. Later I rebooted. Then I ram Security Scan Plus again, and it said that Web Protection was NOT on. I reran the setup to reinstall WebAdvisor, and now Security Scan Plus tells me Web Protection is on again.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Also, the Web Advisor icon at the top right of my screen ( which only seems to appear in chrome by the way, I don't see it in IE ), is greyed out, and if I click on it and select options, nothing happens.

sarnia
Contributor III
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

First is webadvisor extension enabled? To check

Click the Chrome menu on the tool bar

Select Tools

Select Extensions

Select the box to enable.

If that doesn't solve things you can remove W/A via the Control Panel > Programs & Features, uninstall, then reboot and install W/A from the Chrome web store the link is

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mcafee%C2%AE-webadvisor/fheoggkfdfchfphceeifdbepaooicaho?u...

As for W/A not appearing in IE, I have the same issue but as it's not my default browser ( Firefox is) I'm not that concerned at the moment.

Bye the way trouble shooting W/A can be tricky! let us know how you get on.

Sarnia

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community