cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Virus Scan Causes Internet Explorer To Stop Working

I have McAfee Internet Security version 11. Up until two weeks ago, I had version 10 but I got version 11 through my auto updates. I tried to scan my computer twice and whenever I do, it freezes up Internet Explorer and then Internet Explorer stops working completely. I never had this problem with the previous versions. Words can't describe how disappointed I am with McAfee. I have been a customer for seven years. I have had quite a few problems in the last 18 months with the software, mainly issues with the updates. I have thought about cancelling my subscription a few times in the past year and a half and I have to say that I have finally had it. My subscription ends next month and I will not renew it. The problems with the software just keep getting worse with each version. I've read the message board and I see that other people are having issues with Virus Scan and the length of time that it takes with the new version. The issues with the new version haven't been resolved and I suspect that they never will be.

Message was edited by: FrustratedInc on 8/6/11 9:04:30 PM CDT
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Virus Scan Causes Internet Explorer To Stop Working

I have IE9 and it works just fine on this system and I have IE8 on my XP Virtual Machine and it works fine too.  What operating system and service pack are you using?  What version of Internet Explorer?  32-bit or 64-bit? Beta or non-beta?   More information would help.  Are you sure it's the browser or maybe an add-on that isn't fully compatible perhaps?

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

I had a similar problem last year and some this year .This could be a problem with Mcshield.exe.When you run a scan open up task manager.See what is eating up resources.Make sure to click show all.Then run a scan and see what is going on.

FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

My operating system is Vista Home Basic 32-bit, Internet Explorer 7, Service Pack 1. I have no idea what Beta means. I purchased McAfee Internet Security 2009 version(CD-Rom) and through auto updates, 2009 became the 2010 version then two weeks ago, through auto updates, I received the 2011 version. I never had a problem with the 2009 version but  I have had alot of problems with 2010 and 2011 versions of the software. The software just keep getting worse with every new version.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

It is most likely because Vista SP1 hasn't been supported by Microsoft or McAfee since July 12 this year.  SP2 should be installed forthwith and all the dozens of updates since them.

There's help with that here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2019

Beta means pre-release versions of anything that are available for testing from time to time.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community