cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neverandnow99
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

VPN -- what is visible outside the tunnel

hey everybody, I did some research to find information about what is visible about a connection outside the VPN tunnel when I enter a URL in the browser and McAfee VPN is active. but there is no specific forum for VPN, so my question goes to this forum.

my second question is whether it is any different from a PC directly connected to the Internet when I use the hotspot on my smartphone that also runs McAfee Total Protection also with VPN active.

my third question is: if I connect to the Internet via hotspot, is it safer to activate VPN on the PC or on the hotspot? what are the dependencies here?

I understand that for the connection a tunnel is opened that is encryptet, so nothing in the tunnel is visible from the outside.

but I also found postings about VPN in other forums that said that it depends on the type of VPN and on the infrastructure of the VPN-provider.

-- thanks for a smart answer & best regards, neverandnow99

1 Reply
Kumar_suman
Message 2 of 2

Re: VPN -- what is visible outside the tunnel

Hi @neverandnow99 

Greetings from McAfee.

By connecting to websites through a VPN tunnel — and not directly — you can help keep businesses, government bodies, hackers, or other snoops from tracking your online activity or viewing your IP address — which, like your actual address, identifies your location — while you’re online.

Devices using the hotspot will connect to the internet but will not be protected by the VPN. However, you can connect devices to the hotspot and protect them with a VPN app on the connecting devices.

If you set up VPN on your device it will only route your device traffic. So it is recommended to setup VPN on device connected to hotspot internet.

Mcafee use multiple tunnel technology to provide better connectivity. McAfee automatically decide which is best for you. As of now, in iOS you get option to choose tunnel manually. In future you can find this options on other OS as well.

Hope I have answered all your question. If i have missed something, feel free to respond to my message.

Best regards,

Kumar

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community