Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bridgitzeero
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Updating to Security Center 12.1 giving me problems

Jump to solution

Hello,

A little over 48 hours ago, Security Center did an automatic update, and since then, the computer has slowed down considerably and/or many websites I go to "do not respond" per windows.   Also I get the message from SC that "pc is at risk" and the problem is that realtime scanning is not on.  When I click to on, it will stay on for a second then revert back to off.  I've done a recovery to before the update and turned off the automatic updates for the time being, but I don't want to do that for very long.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 24

Re: Updating to Security Center 12.1 giving me problems

Jump to solution

two suggestions

1. MVT we were told today is not fully up with version 121. so maybe do not let it fix.

2. updating to 12.1 maybe better to do a clean reinstall ie:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

View solution in original post

23 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 24

Jump to solution

Run the Virtual Technician to see if that will fix things:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If not then try Technical Support as they can directly troublehsoot what's going on.

They are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Free by phone or online chat.

bridgitzeero
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Jump to solution

Thanks, Will do,  But I think I will contact Technical Support in addition to using the virtual technician  now because looking at this discussion board it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. That is, its not me, its the update.  I would think they're aware of a problem by now, if they monitor this board that is.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 24

Jump to solution

They may be already aware...let's hope so.

Good luck.

neaville
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Jump to solution

Same problem here.  I received a message that I needed to close the user interface and now it's been sitting here for over 1 hour with "Please wait unit the McAfee finishes the installation of your software." when I click on the icon in the start bar.  It would be nice if McAfee would send an e-mail giving us a choice when to install a major upgrade/new release instead of spending all evening trying to fix it. 

neaville
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Jump to solution

McAfee Virtual Technician

No Image

Results :                                                                        602 Problem(s) found.

Choose your next step, then click the Next button to go ahead.
AutoFix (Recommended). McAfee Virtual Technician can automatically fix these problems for you.
Get More Detail. View more detail about each problem, then choose which problems you want McAfee Virtual Technician to fix.

Wow, 602 problems found by McAfee Virtual Technician.  PC automatically downloaded update and is trying to install.  I'm running Windows XP SP3 and keep my system current with all updates.  I guess I'm turning it off tonight and dealing with it later.  This is ridiculous.

Message was edited by: neaville on 1/7/13 9:23:03 PM CST
bridgitzeero
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Jump to solution

I'm still having problems too.  After the update, computer is still slow or non-responsive.  Also the Real-Time Scan still turns off after a short time.  For now, I've dismissed the "PC is at Risk" message because I've turned off the "check for updates automatically" feature.  I'd rather not  have to call tech support tomorrow.  It would be nice if they sent out a broadcast e-mail, telling us what THEY are doing to correct the problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 24

Jump to solution

two suggestions

1. MVT we were told today is not fully up with version 121. so maybe do not let it fix.

2. updating to 12.1 maybe better to do a clean reinstall ie:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

GMT-IT
Former Member
Message 9 of 24

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a lot of problems with 12.1, too. After autoinstall, the pc is slow and shut down takes hours. MVT says no McAfee Software found.... I made a clean Windowsinstall, same errors. After restore of systemimage with 11.6 the pc runs fine until McAfee makes the autoupdate. For now I have uninstalled McAfee und I am waiting for a solution.

BR

Michael

My config:

Gigabyte X79-UD5, i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX570, 2 Samsung 830 SSD 120GB RAID 0, 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Raid 0, 1 x 2 TB Barracuda as Backupdrive. Win 7 Ultimate SP1 with all updates, latest drivers.

bridgitzeero
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll give this a try later today.  Although It looks like that may not help per the response from GMT-IT (Michael).  I'm leery that McAfee told you that a clean re-install "may be" better.

I use Windows 7 .

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community