cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uninstaller
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Uninstalling preinstalled McAfee

I'm trying to uninstall preinstalled McAfee.

Bought new Asus Windows 10 Home laptop. There was McAfee preinstalled.

Uninstalled McAfee Windows 10 app. There is no McAfee at Control Panel add/remove programs atleast anymore. There was still some McAfee processes running at background.

Then I used MCPR.exe (McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool)

There is still mcafeeintegrationservice.exe named "McAfee OS Switch Detection Service" process running at the background.

What is it? Can I somehow uninstall it?

6 Replies
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 7

Re: Uninstalling preinstalled McAfee

Hello @uninstaller 

Since there are McAfee traces left, we need to remove them manually. I've sent you a private message. Please check and respond.

Regards,
Madhan M

DaveTC
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi - I have exactly the same problem on my Kids' Lenovo laptops. I uninstalled McAfee from windows, and ran the MCPR.exe  tool twice on each - the tool reported success, but there is still a rogue "Mcafee Integration" service running which appears to be the "OS Switch Detection Service." There are also a number of folders containing McAfee files which I can't delete or even alter the permissions on - despite having adminstrator access.

I can disable the service via Windows Services, but if I try to remove it the service just reappears at the next boot.

It looks like the MCPR tool will not fully remove preinstalled McAfee from Lenovo products either. 

Is there a manual fix for this?

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 7

Mod above has the manual removal steps you need to ask him.

@Madhan  can you assist please

Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 7

Hello @DaveTC 

There would be some traces[Registries etc.,] left over on the machine. We will help you to sort this out.

Due to nature of this incident, we will contact and help resolve your issue privately.

I've sent you a private message. Please check and respond.

Regards,
Madhan M 

agreenwood
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hello @Madhan

I am experiencing the same issue and would like instructions to resolve it.

Would it be possible to request the implemention of this fix into MCPR?

Thanks,

Andrew

George2022
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 that has a free trial of McAfee installed.  I'd like to remove it and would prefer to do it right in one shot.  Could I get a copy of the best procedure to accomplish this?

George

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community