cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelley3
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Uninstalled Mcafee AntiVirus Plus, used MCPR & still left with 7 files- Help!

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am running Windows XP service pack 3 and just uninstalled McAfee AntiVirus Plus (version 11.0.678) I then proceeded to use the MCPR removal tool which stated that the cleanup was indeed successful. To my disappointment, 7 files remained. I wanted to remove this version completely but will have problems unless I can get rid of these files. I have had this computer for a long time and it came with McAfee preinstalled, I have been using McAfee ever since (online downloads and boxed). What should I do? Can I just go ahead and delete this files without harming my system? I don't know what to do....help! 

Thanks in advance!

Here are the 7 files:

File #1:

mcafeepf.dll located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

File #2:

mcafee_yCAzcjOVzVFVuV3 in  C:\WINDOWS\Temp

File#3:

mcafeepf.dll located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32/system

File#4:

McAfee - PC Clinic located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config...

File#5:

home.mcafee.com located in same as above

File#6:

#home.mcafee.com located in same as #4

File #7:

McAfee.swf located in same as #4

I realize that some of the locations of the files are not complete but at this point on time, I am very limited. Can you help anyway? Do you still need more info? Thanks all.

P.S. What is the latest version of the MCPR? What will remove older files before 2005?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Uninstalled Mcafee AntiVirus Plus, used MCPR & still left with 7 files- Help!

Jump to solution

That's odd but possible I suppose if perhaps other McAfee processes have been used in the past, support etc.

Did you make sure that MCPR was the newest version by downloading it feshly from the link under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page?   It's supposed to be good as far back as 2005 I believe, older than that require more drastic means.

Try running it again or reboot into Safe Mode and try removing those files in that mode.

There is a Registry cleanup method which is rather time consuming, which I can post if you wish, and if I can find it as I haven't suggested it for quite a long time.

By any chance do you dual boot 2 or more operating systems?   The reason I ask is that stubborn files are easily removed across partitions from one system to another.

Just a thought anyway.   Let me know if the Safe Mode suggestion fails & you need the registry method.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/08/12 6:39:08 EDT AM

View solution in original post

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Uninstalled Mcafee AntiVirus Plus, used MCPR & still left with 7 files- Help!

Jump to solution

That's odd but possible I suppose if perhaps other McAfee processes have been used in the past, support etc.

Did you make sure that MCPR was the newest version by downloading it feshly from the link under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page?   It's supposed to be good as far back as 2005 I believe, older than that require more drastic means.

Try running it again or reboot into Safe Mode and try removing those files in that mode.

There is a Registry cleanup method which is rather time consuming, which I can post if you wish, and if I can find it as I haven't suggested it for quite a long time.

By any chance do you dual boot 2 or more operating systems?   The reason I ask is that stubborn files are easily removed across partitions from one system to another.

Just a thought anyway.   Let me know if the Safe Mode suggestion fails & you need the registry method.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/08/12 6:39:08 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

OK I found the registry removal method from a really old post:

This has to be done when signed in as an Administrator-level user by the way.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit and click OK - also OK any UAC prompts you may get (Vista and above).
A page should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/285-187/Regedit.jpg

If for some reason the trees are expanded, collapse them and then highlight My Computer.
Go to File tab and click "Export" and send the registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting merge.
Now click the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click "Find next" (or hit the enter key).
Whatever is found, right-click and delete.
Hit your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.
If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.
If all is successful those entries could not possibly remain and you can then delete the registry backup.

You may have to repeat it using "Network Associates" and/or "NAI" minus the "" for really old software - it can be a long process but as you've already run MCPR perhaps not too bad 😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/08/12 8:07:05 EDT AM
shelley3
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Peter...OMG!

You have helped me plenty of times over the years and here you are again. Thank you so much! Firstly, I will try the MCPR again but from the link above. I do believe that two of the files are from 2001, if this is accurate...the rest show 2010.  Then I will try safe mode ( hope I remember how to do that...it's been awhile).

No, do not dual boot 2 operating systems , too bad seems this would have even easier for me.

If all that fails I thank you for posting the Registry cleanup, this will be my last resort as I am afraid to modify the registry and never have done so before. Also, how do I sign in as an administrator user? I can't recall...that's how long it's been.

As you can see, I have been a member here since 2002 and that's when I first started using these forums and how hold this computer is...lol. I have a newer one but I am not ready to give this PC up yet. I still love it.

Thank you so much, Peter and will post my reply as soon as I have another chance to try all of this.

Cheers to you for years of dedication!      

Sincerely,

Shelley

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Shelley,

You've been here longer than I have!   If it's from 2001 then yes the MCPR will most likely not remove it.    Safe Mode may allow you to simply delete those files and you reach that by clicking F8 repeatedly while booting up.   The ensuing menu gives a list of different modes, pick either Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (Internet).

That registry removal method I posted advises you to backup the registry just in case so it should be OK.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/08/12 9:50:43 EDT AM
shelley3
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Peter!

Lol, I guess I have been here a long time. But I recal so welll how helpful you always were and still are.

Here is what I did: Firstly, this morning I tried to download the MCPR file again from the "useful links" above but couldn't, not sure why. I did run the one that I had over again and was still left with these files. I then  booted my computer in safe mode and was able to delete all the files. Eveything seems to be ok??? So far so good, are there any other files that I should be searching for? I found Mcagent , autoexec.nai and deleted those as well. Did a search with NA NAI, anything else that you can recall that I should delete from these very old files?

Thanks again for everything,

Cheers!  

Shelley

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Not NA as that could belong to something else, it would be specifically McAfee, NAI or Network Associates, the last two only if the software was really old.   But from what you say it sounds like you got everything that matters.

shelley3
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

Well all seems well so far...thank you so much! I will put it through a few more tests and get back to you with a definite reply. But I am quite satisfied and once again you saved me.

Thank you Peter, you are ever so kind.

Sincerely grateful for so many years,

Shelley 🙂 Big hug!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Thank you Shelley and all the best 😉

shelley3
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes, everything is great!

My thanks again to YOU!

All the best to you as well,

Shelley 🙂

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community