Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 31 of 32

Re: Unfamiliar and uncomfortable McAfee support

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I used firefox and it was set to clear history on exit (I changed that) so I have no way of seeing where I somehow wound up back on April 27.  If someone was spoofing the mcafee website I have no way to verify this.  Whether whoever I spoke to was trying to sell me a service i didn't need for  $179 or installing a virus on my machine I'm pretty sure that failed.  I swapped out my HDD-0 (C-boot drive + 4 more logical drives/partitions)  immediately for a cloned one and brought it up-to-date with an update script that I wrote.  I also replaced my HDD-1 with 5 partitions within a few days.  I have run full scans and run the tools that were pointed to by mcafee (getSusp,RootkitRemover and Stinger32) and nothing showed up. 

That brings me to another 'issue'.  I was advised to disable Real Time Scanning with MalwareBytes because it was thought that two RTS's might be a problem.  However, I see that Stinger32 seems to install its own RTS.  It is still running 'Real Protect' which looks like an RTS which is running alongside of mcafee's RTS. 

Should this still be running?  I see when I right click I can stop it or remove Real Protect.

Peacekeeper
Message 32 of 32

Re: Unfamiliar and uncomfortable McAfee support

Jump to solution

Real Protect is not RTS but

McAfee Corporate KB - FAQs for Real Protect detection tool (formerly Raptor) KB83068

and supposedly in retail Mcafee so will not clash as part of it

Intel Released McAfee 2017 with Real Protect and Protection Pledge - Tech Support All

Though I do not appear to have it installed in my 15.1.r2 strange.

Will look further

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community