Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hunghanks
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Unable to remove anti theft

Jump to solution

Hi I want to uninstall mcafee anti theft from my sony vaio laptop running on windows 8.  My antivirus have been crashing and also vaio care software eversince i have installed it.  I tried to uninstall it by it gives me error unable to uninstall.  Also, when I access web control I cannot save settings when I try to disable file protection.  Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hunghanks
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Re: Unable to remove anti theft

Jump to solution

Update:  Nevermind.  I have fixed the issue myself.  I opened the xml file inside C:\Program Files\McAfeeAntiTheft\DBStorage thru a notepad.  I read two of my document files was indicated inside so I thought they were the ones causing the error while the uninstall process was decrypting my files.  I then tried to copy both files to a flash drive before I tried to delete them but It can't be copied.  It's giving me errors I've never encountered before.  So what I did, since both files were in MS Excel format, I opened them up in MS Excel and tried to use "Save As" command and saved it to my flash drive.  And alas it worked!  Then I deleted those two files that were causing the errors and it worked too without problems.  I then tried to continue the uninstall process.  Still it show error "Unable to remove software".  Next thing I did was restart windows 8.  Uninstall process automatically continued.  Decrypting process continued without errors.  To my relief yeah unintall process was successful!  After restarting windows again, everything worked fine.  Laptop was running smooth like before I installed Mcafee anti theft.  I reinstalled my antivirus and it worked fine again.  Vaio care was running smooth too.  I hope this could also help some who are having same issues as me.

The issue I have encountered with this software is really annoying.  As I have read from other people's cases inside this forum.  It's like it's not thoroughly tested to run well on all systems.  Sony should issue a warning to its new vaio consumers to not activate this dangerous software yet until Intel and McAfee fixes these issues with conflicting softwares, slow downs, lockdowns and uninstalling nightmares which I almost had.  McAfee should disable download of the installer from their website until they have fixed their issues.

I am not an expert but good thing I know a bit around windows PCs.  I am an IT Support for a book publishing company here in the Philippines.  And part of my work is to test new softwares or systems and even hardware that could be beneficial for better productivity of the employees and security of the PCs used throughout all our POS branches.  And from what I have just experienced, Mcafee products is still a no go.  Intel, I'm beginning to loose faith in you too for being stubborn in this.  I could have lost my important files.

Still I thank you Mr. Vikas Prasad for responding to my case.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
vikasmca05
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry that you are having issues with McAfee Anti-Theft product.

We will surely try to resolve the product issue.

In order to do that we need few info.

I have send you a PM regarding the same.

Please respond to that.

Thanks,

Vikas

McAfee Team

hunghanks
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi Vikas, did you receive my email?

hunghanks
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Update:  This morning the first thing I did after turning on my laptop was to uninstall Mcafee Anti Theft.  And it went ahead without telling me there are possible threats.  It started decrypting my files.  And then right in the middle of it when it was already decrypting files on my second partition, the error came out again "Unable to remove software".  Please advise on what to do next. Thanks you.

vikasmca05
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi,

I did not recieve any mail from you.

Can you please send it to me again?

Thanks,

Vikas

McAfee Team

hunghanks
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Update:  Nevermind.  I have fixed the issue myself.  I opened the xml file inside C:\Program Files\McAfeeAntiTheft\DBStorage thru a notepad.  I read two of my document files was indicated inside so I thought they were the ones causing the error while the uninstall process was decrypting my files.  I then tried to copy both files to a flash drive before I tried to delete them but It can't be copied.  It's giving me errors I've never encountered before.  So what I did, since both files were in MS Excel format, I opened them up in MS Excel and tried to use "Save As" command and saved it to my flash drive.  And alas it worked!  Then I deleted those two files that were causing the errors and it worked too without problems.  I then tried to continue the uninstall process.  Still it show error "Unable to remove software".  Next thing I did was restart windows 8.  Uninstall process automatically continued.  Decrypting process continued without errors.  To my relief yeah unintall process was successful!  After restarting windows again, everything worked fine.  Laptop was running smooth like before I installed Mcafee anti theft.  I reinstalled my antivirus and it worked fine again.  Vaio care was running smooth too.  I hope this could also help some who are having same issues as me.

The issue I have encountered with this software is really annoying.  As I have read from other people's cases inside this forum.  It's like it's not thoroughly tested to run well on all systems.  Sony should issue a warning to its new vaio consumers to not activate this dangerous software yet until Intel and McAfee fixes these issues with conflicting softwares, slow downs, lockdowns and uninstalling nightmares which I almost had.  McAfee should disable download of the installer from their website until they have fixed their issues.

I am not an expert but good thing I know a bit around windows PCs.  I am an IT Support for a book publishing company here in the Philippines.  And part of my work is to test new softwares or systems and even hardware that could be beneficial for better productivity of the employees and security of the PCs used throughout all our POS branches.  And from what I have just experienced, Mcafee products is still a no go.  Intel, I'm beginning to loose faith in you too for being stubborn in this.  I could have lost my important files.

Still I thank you Mr. Vikas Prasad for responding to my case.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community