Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psnemecek
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Unable to download security center or get support

Jump to solution

Several days ago I began getting notifications that McAfee Security Center was unable to download.  When I hit the "Fix Now" button in security center, everything went back to "green" status, so I didn't think much of it.

However, now I'm getting messages that my anti-virus signatures are between 8 and 29 days old.  The Virtual Technician recommended downloading the software again.  When I did so, I was unable to download Security Center and I received the message "download error 12029"

Consulting the FAQs, I was instructed to uninstall and then reinstall McAfee using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool MCPR.exe (document TS100507).  I did so without any apparent issue.  However, I am still unable to download McAfee Security Center software, receiving the same message "download error 12029"

Additionally, I am unable to reach technical support via online chat.  I am able to log my service request and I have received emails confirming that McAfee received these requests.  Unfortunately, after logging several requests, the website provides a link to download the McAfee Chat Client.  Clicking this simply returns me to the McAfee Support home page.

At this point I am lost.  I called McAfee technical support and was told that they could not help me because I had purchased my subscription more than 30 days ago (12/26/09 to be exact).  Calling customer service was equally unhelpful as they promised to provide me a link directly to technical support via online chat.  This turned out to be a link to the support home page, which I already have accessed.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what "download error 12029" means.  I'd also accept anyone who could help me get in touch with technical support via online chat.

Needless to say, I'm quite unhappy with McAfee's service at this time.  I don't feel it is right of the company to ask me to pay an additional $9.95 for tech support without apparently providing me a means to access any of the supposedly "free online tools."

Anyway, thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonasBronck
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Error 12029 &/or Unable to download security center or get support

Jump to solution

McAfee Download Error 12029

This is a P.I.A. of a problem with a lot of interesting solutions posted in various places.

Go to this McAfee community thread

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/17643

and follow the instructions posted by alanclother

The problem is with proxy settings.

They must be Off in both your browser and internet settings.

I, personally,

(1) used Windows uninstaller to remove the program,

(2) downloaded and ran McAfee's own product removal tool, then

(3) corrected the proxy settings per the above thread, then

(4) used the McAfee installer again.

Worked like a charm.

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to download security center or get support

Jump to solution

psnemeck,

I understand your frustration and even I would feel the same way myself .  Since you have contacted the community forums, we shall try to help you to getting your issue resolved. And for that can you please provide some additional information like;

What is the operating system of the computer ?

What type of internet connection you use ? (dsl/wireless) ?

Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

psnemecek
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Dinz.

I run Windows XP.  I have cable internet via fiber optic (no wireless to my PC).  As far as other security software goes, I have Windows Defender (this has been active for at least a year with no problems thus far), Malwarebytes Anti Malware Software (recently installed per the recommendation of another McAfee forum member to remove the fake AV trojan I recently got), and Super Antispyware.  Both the MBAM and Super AS are the free versions.  These programs are currently the only security software installed since, as noted earlier, I completely uninstalled McAfee Security Center.

Thanks

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

psnemeck,

Its my pleasure helping you.

Download error 12029 is basically a network error , yet you could try the below steps to install mcafee .

1.Uninstall the other security software from add/remove programs and their  files & folders from C:/program files & common files to avoid conflicts during installation

2.Run the removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and restart the computer , while restarting start tapping the F8 key, from the windows advanced boot option select safe mode with networking.

3.Run the preinstall tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe and try downloading again.

Do report back if any issues especially with the error you receive. 

Thanks,

Dinesh K

JonasBronck
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Error 12029 &/or Unable to download security center or get support

Jump to solution

McAfee Download Error 12029

This is a P.I.A. of a problem with a lot of interesting solutions posted in various places.

Go to this McAfee community thread

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/17643

and follow the instructions posted by alanclother

The problem is with proxy settings.

They must be Off in both your browser and internet settings.

I, personally,

(1) used Windows uninstaller to remove the program,

(2) downloaded and ran McAfee's own product removal tool, then

(3) corrected the proxy settings per the above thread, then

(4) used the McAfee installer again.

Worked like a charm.

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

psnemecek
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Re: Error 12029 &/or Unable to download security center or get support

Jump to solution

Thanks Paul.  You are the first person to offer me any useful feedback on my issue.  It was actually incredibly thougthful of you to respond to my posting after I had given up all hope of a solution.

I was actually able to figure out the proxy server issue on my own through a great deal of trial and error.

Sadly (for McAfee, not for me) I will not be downloading Security Center back onto my system.  After struggling over to course of several days to obtain even the most rudimentary level of customer service I had an epiphany...WHY AM I BEATING MY HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL TO GET THIS POS BACK ON MY COMPUTER???  I understand the concept of charging an additional fee for one on one service, but all I was really asking for was a little help in accessing the online chat feature.  Unfortunately every CSR (if they could be said to deserve the title) was either ignorant or just didn't care about my plight.  The response I continually received was if I needed additional help, I would have to pay for it.

For the record, it was Windows Defender and Malwarebytes that actually removed the Fake AV from my system.  Security Center and McAfee's stinger did absolutely nothing as best I could tell.

I had been a loyal McAfee user for the last 7 years prior to this experience, but at this point McAfee could not pay me enough to be treated like that again.  Frankly, I don't even know why I'm bothering to post this at all, except to vent my frustration.  McAfee has made it very clear that they simply don't care about my business.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community