cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pboulianne09
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

USB ports won't work after installing McAfee Total Protection Service

Bought a new HP laptop (mistake), loaded Windows Vista (big mistake) and just loaded Total protection last night and now the USB ports won't recognize any of my external devices. Haven't had time to really try things with the McAfee software nor to I want to. Is this a common problem and how would I fix it.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: USB ports won't work after installing McAfee Total Protection Service

How recent is your BIOS?   I doubt very much that McAfee could even do that if it wanted to as they are system devices.

Have you gone to the Device Manager and checked for flagged devices - probably needing updated drivers?

This is Vista SP2 I trust, if not there is help with that here:  http://community.mcafee.com/message/6648#6648

Check for updates and make sure that Windows Update is set to look for updates for all components using Microsoft Updates.

Vista certainly shouldn't be a cause for anyone to say "big mistake", unless of course, their machine is not capable of carrying Vista in the first place.

All the problems that were reproted in its early days have long since been ironed out.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/12/09 6:26 AM
pboulianne09
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I'm not exactly a computer genius but to answer your questions- the computer is brand new (laptop 3 weeks) all the updates have been installed on a daily basis. I purchased the Total package two night ago from the website and had an external mouse plugged in. When the install was done the mouse stopped working. I rebooted, changed the batteries in the mouse and when plugged in, the port wouldn't recognize the device. Tried thumb drives and external hard drives and nothing will be recognized.

That's the reason why I'm pointing the finger at the McAfee software as everything worked fine before the install and everything was working well. This morning I did a system restore and the problem was still there so you may have a point about the software not causing the problem but it's pretty suspicious. I've restore back to yesterday's settings.

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Using System Restore is OK but often it will confuse McAfee so it's wise to right-click the taskbar icon and look for updates immediately afterwards.

Have you looked in Device Manager?

(Right-click Computer/Properties then select that on the upper left)

It could be as simple as needing updated software/drivers etc.

The other place to look would be Start/Control Panel/Hardware & Sound

(Sometimes my mouse and or keyboard decide to stop working and jiggling around with either of the above usually corrects the situation).

It is possible that McAfee has quarantined some drivers, albeit unlikely.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Restore (left)

Click Files (top left)

They should be there on the right if quarantined.

Try sending them to McAfee, if that fails you'll have to follow the instructions for false findings here: http://community.mcafee.com/message/32859#32859

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/12/09 7:11 AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

I should add that there is an excellent forum for Vista help here:  http://www.vistax64.com/

pboulianne09
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Craziest thing! Tried all kinds of things-updates, checking drivers ect...ect... Went on one of the links that you provided and read about a solution that someone else had. Turn the laptop off, take out the battery, hold the power button down for a minute, put the batterie back in and fire it up and then plug the external drives in in revers order and guess what...the voodoo worked!!! How the hell would one figure this out on his own???

Anyhow, thanks for the leads Mate.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

pboulianne09 wrote:

Craziest thing! Tried all kinds of things-updates, checking drivers ect...ect... Went on one of the links that you provided and read about a solution that someone else had. Turn the laptop off, take out the battery, hold the power button down for a minute, put the batterie back in and fire it up and then plug the external drives in in revers order and guess what...the voodoo worked!!! How the hell would one figure this out on his own???

Anyhow, thanks for the leads Mate.

Glad things are OK now, good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community