cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 121 of 140

Re: Total Protection v11.6 Conflict with Blue Iris and Crashes PC

Increasing page file doesn't help as the issue is with non paged memory that cannot be paged into page file.

lotty
Contributor
Message 122 of 140

i was just going to comment on how odd this suggestion seems based on same reasoning just outlined by fragged .. 

lotty
Contributor
Message 123 of 140

further .. this is a real question .. why would McAfee prioritize windows 8 over a compelling windows 7 bug .. would seem there are far more users hit by windows 7 big v windows 8. What am i missing here?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 124 of 140

Sorry I'm only the messenger, the tech on the call thought it would relieve the strain so to speak.   Your other question, I would imagine because Windows 8 is a whole new ball game and it's important that the software support it, which at present it doesn't at all.

The leak is Microsoft's fault but McAfee are doing the honourable thing and attempting to patch it for them, so I would imagine that comes second in the list for that reason.

Only a guess mind you.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 125 of 140

Thank you for checking.  It's disappointing that McAfee doesn't seem to care about us.

There's only one thing that a user can do to solve this problem, and that's uninstall McAfee.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 126 of 140

They do care but patches can't always be done together and I guess they figured this one could be put back in favour of the Win 8 one, it's unfortunate, but it will be issued in the next core release, when that will be I'm not sure.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 127 of 140

Just to elaborate on the page file suggestion and why it won't help:  The non-paged memory pool (the area where this problem results in memory being allocated and never deallocated) must reside in non-paged RAM.  The non-paged pool cannot be swapped out to the page file.  The non-paged pool is limited to 75% of the installed RAM, e.g, on a 4 GB system, the non-paged pool is limited to 3 GB.  No matter what you do with the page file, the memory available for the non-paged pool cannot grow past this 75% hard limit.  Therefore, no matter how big the page file is, the system will eventually run out of memory and crash.

Message was edited by: Bobcat on 10/22/12 5:54:42 PM EDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 128 of 140

Bobcat wrote:

Just to elaborate on the page file suggestion and why it won't help:  The non-paged memory pool (the area where this problem results in memory being allocated and never deallocated) must reside in non-paged RAM.  The non-paged pool cannot be swapped out to the page file.  The non-paged pool is limited to 75% of the installed RAM, e.g, on a 4 GB system, the non-paged pool is limited to 3 GB.  No matter what you do with the page file, the memory available for the non-paged pool cannot grow past this 75% hard limit.  Therefore, no matter how big the page file is, the system will eventually run out of memory and crash.

Message was edited by: Bobcat on 10/22/12 5:54:42 PM EDT

I'll pass that right back to the person that suggested it, thank you.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 129 of 140

Hi All,

I am the one provided the steps about the page file since it has been resolved for this thread, it’s just a suggestion but not the solution or the workaround

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47937

Lotty has also posted on the above thread mentioning “ sounds like a same issue ” , just had a thought so gave this idea. Thanks,

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 130 of 140

Now Mcafee has been stuck at 'downloading updates 0%' for hours.  The Cancel button won't stop it.  Even a reboot didn't help.

Message was edited by: Bobcat on 10/24/12 5:39:42 AM EDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community