cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobcat
Former Member
Message 101 of 140

Re: Total Protection v11.6 Conflict with Blue Iris and Crashes PC

4 weeks since the alleged fix was finished, but we still don't have it.

8 weeks since the problem surfaced.

Can you ask what's going on during your next phone call?  This is f-in ridiculous.

lotty
Contributor
Message 102 of 140

Bobcat:

I agree. Of course I will ask IF they call me. I have to received a call in 4 weeks or os.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 103 of 140

I was referring to the weekly McAfee conference call.

spectrex
Contributor
Message 104 of 140

I am running Blue Iris 3.10.15 and McAfee 11.6 at the moment. I have 2 IP cameras and one analog via tuner card. I have never encountered a problem such as you are describing. Only thing I can think of for you to try perhaps is make sure the Firewall is configured to allow Blue Iris as it does phone home to make sure only one copy of the software is using the key. Found that out by trying to have it on a second computer so I could monitor the IP cams from a different computer rather than use the web page model.

Message was edited by: spectrex on 10/21/12 6:40:39 AM CDT
lotty
Contributor
Message 105 of 140

I run 4 cameras .. and do lots of motion detection .. so possibly my I/O is signficantly more than you.

Anyway the McAfee engineering guy worked directly on my PC many times capturing special diagnostics and they concluded there is a problem with McAfee. It has to do with function calls into the kernel. McAfee apparently has a fix but it has not been released.

As to why you are not seeing this present hard to say. First thing i would look at are the builds on the SC and VS components. Possibly your PC did not upgrade back at the end of July. The memory leak as introduced in the builds released at that time. If you do a clean install from the website you will get the latest builds and I would be surprised if you do not see similar behavior. The firewall configuration was explored in detail with McAfee engineers.Based on my own experience and the feedback from the diagnostic tools that were run on my Blue Iris PC it was clear the one or both of the SC or VC fails to release each instance of the BlueIris that it scans as a virus causing memory to fill up and the PC crash. The crash happens like clockwork (2 hours after reboot, see logs I posted earlier in this thread). I have also kept Ken P at Blue Iris informed of the issue.

My workaround is to completely uninstall McAfee and then install Microsoft Security Essentials. Under MSE the PC runs perfectly with no issues.

lotty
Contributor
Message 106 of 140

spectrex

One more thought, I write all my images to an external NAS drive. So my IP cameras are inbound .. then the BI PC does the processing and then writes all the video and clips to the NAS as outbound I/O. If you save to a local hard drive on your PC then you will not have the same I/O pattern and this may account for the difference.

There are at least 3 other threads out there on the memory leak issue. I have read all of the threads and they all share a similar theme in that the problem presents when there is significant and constant I/O events on the PC.

Good luck.

spectrex
Contributor
Message 107 of 140

Hmm ... well here is my system info

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Service Pack 1

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz Quad Core

16 GB Ram DDR-3 1333

ATI Radeon 6950 2GB - driver version 12.9

Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 bios version P2.30

McAfee Security Center v 11.6 build 11.6.435

Virus Scan 15.6 build 15.6.231

Personal Firewall 12.6 build 12.6.176

McAfee SiteAdvisor 3.6 build 3.6.0.155

Parental Controls 13.6 build 13.6.126 ( no idea why that's installed)

I am not using a NAS or anything so that could be the variable that matters.

lotty
Contributor
Message 108 of 140

spectrex

You have the latest builds that include the memory leak. My diffs to your setup .. 8 v 16 gb ram .. W7 x64 pro v w7 home processor exactly same, my video cards are similar, motherboard ? mine is dell optiplex so whatever that is ..

I think the NAS is the key variable rather than these other metrics. If you wanted to see the bug in play just map your PC to another PC and change your Blue Iris to write clips to the other PC / network drives. I am pretty sure the memory leak will present.

spectrex
Contributor
Message 109 of 140

I'm guessing that writing to the nas is the issue ... I've listened to podcast on the TWiT network where they are doing that exact same thing, however they said in order to do so they had to incest in some pretty expensive equipment (of course they are recording live streams doing video editing on the NAS)

Which makes me wonder if there is enough bandwith to make sustained writes to the NAS. Im sure it can be done without problems. There would be a few factors like drive speed, files size, bandwith, type of router, etc. There is a lot going on there transcoding the video and trying to write it to the NAS at the same time. It can put a heavy load on the system resources. I'm sure you already know all this... you seem to know what you are doing. Just makes me wonder as far as troubleshooting it goes that perhaps the act of writing to the NAS itself could be the issue. I bought a trendnet gigabit hub fairly cheap, figured all the pcs had gigabit on them so I hooked them all the the hub for file transfer and video stream from pc to pc and put the internet router behind that ... as the internet speeds here top out at 25 Mbps for me. works pretty well.

Have you tried writing to the machines HDD only as a test to see if it still happens? I it doesnt happen that way Im thinking its not a issue with McAfee or blue Iris .. could always try transcoding to a compressed format like divx or something ... It take more cpu and ram to do that but 8 GB of ram should be able to handle it .. the question is wether or not it would be stable and not crash. The option is there in Blue Iris to do that, I don't no if it would help just thinking compressing the video to a smaller file size might help.

lotty
Contributor
Message 110 of 140

To keep this simple .. before the release of the July 2012 McAfee builds, my setup writing to my NAS had no issues with weeks of uptime at a time (no changes to my setup in months prior to this or after). Further currently as long as I uninstall McAfee including installing another antivirus product .. my system runs perfectly with no issues. Only problem is with McAfee installed.

All my equipment involved in my security cameras runs on gigabit PoE switch. I use more expensive switches etc. Heck my processors do not even top 25% at max and under normal circumstances PC running BU does not even top out at 2.5 GB of available ram. Now if I install the McAfee this quickly blows right through that and then crashed the PC when hit 7.3GB at the 2 hour mark.. every time.

Every datapoint suggests this is a McAfee memory leak including direct feedback from the McAfee engineering team.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community