cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neillo
Contributor III
Message 1 of 6

Total Protection icon not responding

The McAfee icon in the notification area does not show a tooltip when I hover over it and does not respond when clicked. The desktop icon doesn't respond either and I can't get it to run from the Start menu. I have tried running Virtual Technician, which reports 5 problems (services / processes not running) and claims to have fixed 2 of them. When I run it again, it still reports 5 problems and claims to have fixed 2 of them.

I now have no means of initiating  a full disk scan. Anybody got any ideas?

Running Windows 7 Home Premium with all current updates.

5 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Total Protection icon not responding

Is your McAfee Version/Build 14.0 R0/14.0.R12?

If so this is a known issue.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
neillo
Contributor III
Message 3 of 6

I don't know how to check that, given that I can't open the UI.

According to the report produced by Virtual Technician...

VirusScan is Version 19.0.3060

QuickClean and Shredder 15.0.3033

WebAdvisor  4.0.4.209

Personal Firewall  16.0.3026

Parental Controls  17.0.3038.0

AntiSpam  16.0.3035

Vulnerability Scanner  5.0.3053

Home Network  9.0.3043

File Lock  6.0.3031

The faults reported are...

VirusScan   Service stopped McNaiAnn

Personal Firewall   Service stopped McMPFSvc

AntiSpam  Process not running C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\platform\mcsvchost\mcsvhost.exe

Home Network  Process not running C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\platform\mcsvchost\mcsvhost.exe

Home Network  Service stopped  HomeNetSvc

If this is a known fault, presumably it will be corrected soon! As I have it set to automatically check for updates, I guess I'll have to wait. In fact, I was wanting to temporarily turn auto-updates off because my last two weekly full disk scans had been interrupted by auto-update closing the UI !

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

I see..then I would during the interim, Contact support. The link is at the bottom of the Community Page.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
neillo
Contributor III
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for your responses.

I tried a reboot, but the only difference that made was that the icons for the volume control, safely remove hardware, and battery charge indicator disappeared from the notification area. I tried running mcsvhost manually, which flashed what looked like a DOS window up (entirely blank) for about a second.

When I booted up this morning, everything seemed to be back to normal. I opened the McAfee UI and was told it needed to be closed because an update was in progress. When that finished, I was again able to open the UI and kick off the full scan, which ran OK and found nothing.

I guess we'll have to assume whatever the problem was has been fixed.

I can't find anything in the UI that tells me which Version/Build I am running.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

​,

I will mark this thread as 'Assumed answered then, and lock it. If you experience any further issues, kindly create another discussion.

Thank you,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community