Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buster02
Contributor II
Message 21 of 49

Re: Total Protection Icon not responding

Hi Sanjay,

As I have explained in this thread, the problem is that auto installing updates hangs. I got into McAfee again by re-starting the laptop and turning off auto-update. I now open McAfee daily to run a manual update - what a pain.

By the way, that Knowledge Base article link doesn't open for me.

jonathn
Former Member
Message 22 of 49

I'm writing this at 9:04 my time... this is still checking for an update after almost 5 1/2 hours I checked for updates right after doing a complete scan

Capture.JPG

andy8218
Former Member
Message 23 of 49

It’s been a month now from my last issue and things appeared to be fine; however the other day I noticed “again” I can’t get into the McAfee screen to view the scan information or settings on two of my pc’s so far.  I after the tech support worked on the issue I felt things would be fixed, however I was proven wrong again.  I’m now having the same issues I had when I updated and renewed my subscription to McAfee Total Protection.  It’s simply disappointing after all the years of good service and the McAfee products I’ve had.  I will be making another call to tech support this afternoon and see if they have a “permanent” fix. 

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 49

​,

Could you please save your *Service Request Number* from your session,and provide it to us here? I can bring this up tomorrow on our weekly Conference Call.

Also there is another thread with experiencing stuck on updates

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 25 of 49

Hi Gary,

I haven't seen this issue after I booted into Safe Mode, tried a manual update in Safe Mode and waited for it to install. Upon successful update I restarted PC in normal mode after which the issue did not occur.

NOTE for Windows 10 Users: If you are going to boot to Safe Mode in Windows 10, keep the Microsoft Account Password handy for logging in. User PIN will not work when you try to boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 49

Thanks Selvan

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 49

Could you please confirm if Selvans suggestion resolved your issue?

Thank you

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 49

I think the fact that many people only put their machines to sleep, rather than total power down, is a factor here.

I've seen the "jammed update" phenomenon only a couple of times.  A reboot cured it each time, but some are seeing it all the time and I suspect they are not rebooting, only hibernating and waking up.

Also, the Windows 10 Fast Startup feature has caused similar issues with all kinds of software, not just McAfee, that relied on a reboot to establish an update as finally installed.

andy8218
Former Member
Message 29 of 49

Service Request # 2218237515 is what I believe was the last number given to me on one of the calls to support.  However I think I called in after that and someone wasn't able to isolate and correct the problem.  She said that someone would call me back in 24-48 hrs that worked on the next higher level of service.  She didn't give me a ref. number and as of today no one has called me back.  Sorry for not keeping better reference on the last very last call that I had either 4/9/17 or 4/10/17 but it appeared that the 2nd level would be calling me back.  I do have other ref. numbers that might help with the history of trouble.  # 220347189, 2198706572, 2188741885, 2187752743, 21957654, 217190266.  My notes have become totally messed up with all the different occurrences and calls; hope that helps.  I will be out of the  house this afternoon but returning later and see about doing more followup on the failures later in the day.  

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 49

I am emailing a Tier 2.5 Technician your response.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community