Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 37

Re: Total Protection 2010 "Your software is about to deactivate"

Very strange.   All I can say is ask Tech Support Chat to escalate the case.  If all of you called in around the same time they might sit up and take notice.  That's your best bet as the forums really are for peer to peer support and unless I'm mistaken, no one knows the answer here.

spredbury
Contributor
Message 12 of 37

It would appear that Mcafee has a problem they are either ignoring or trying to hide. I experienced this problem for weeks, made numerous calls to tech support without resolution, and finally gave up removed the package and purchased Norton. Really too bad because I had been very happy with Mcafee for a couple years.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 37

Well I don't know what to say as I haven't come across it before this thread.

I'll bring it up on our conference call with McAfee Tier 3 technicians on Monday afternoon to see if they can shed some light on it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 37

Correction August 9 - Monday's call has been postponed.

bero
Former Member
Message 15 of 37

I hope that McAfee has some way to examine what the complaints are (you don't need full data mining) can categorize them according to

the topic. I hope that someone has added activation/deactivation topic to the list of categories, and that it is not categorized as "general problems".

The first line support can only fill in service tickets, they don't escalate, they just take the punches from unhappy customers (I try

to stay polite and respectfull, because I know that it is not their fault, that McAfee throws unfinished SW at their customers).

I think that the only way to "escalate" the problem is to ask for a refund, motivated by the fact that McAfee fails to meet its obligation towards

the customer. That is the reason that I will ask for a refund (I expect to get about 30 Euro, in itself not worth the trouble), because if many customers

demand their money back, the things will get escalated. I hope that most people with this problem will do that, and that the upper management

will understand that they have (by shortsighted greed) destoyed a company that until a few years ago was the reference in virus protection and

good quality.

bero.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 37

They will escalate an issue if you ask them to.  They do that all the time.

bero
Former Member
Message 17 of 37

Let us hope that they will solve the issue soon. I'm relucatant to switch to a competitor, so I hope it will get solved.

Please let us know what the outcome is of that conf call.

bero

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 37

I will.  I already added it to the agenda.   Sorry I forgot that the McAfee management we deal with are away this coming Monday so it will be the one after.  Meanwhile I'll try to get someone to look at this thread.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/07/10 3:40:14 EDT PM
sssam
Contributor
Message 19 of 37

I am a newbie on the forum and would like to relay my experience on the ground with my home computers.

Same activation/deactivation issue.

History: Occurred after McAfee pushed the latest iteration of Security Centre 3 days ago.  Recreated disabled McAfee features and blocked access to the net.  Very similar to the April disaster(...yes, I fell victim to that too).

Eventually required tel support , escalated to senior tech to resolve.  Uninstalled and reinstalled MSC on 2 separate computers with 2 separate licenses.  It appears that McAfee software activation program is too rudimentary to sort out which licenses to apply to which computer.  This creates artefactual "double activation" of licenses, creating a conflict and the dreaded deactivation notice.

The strange thing is that the reinstallation of MCS on the computer with the message was done via remote "go to assist" by McAfee by a senior tech.  The license was active till 2014 as of 3 nights ago but last night it reset to 3 days.

Resolution was via further tech support as customer service could see no issues with the licenses.

Tel support then ?reset accounts/licenses by deactivation of duplicate activations that were cleaned up 3 nights ago(rather than uninstall/reinstall) and assures repeatedly that it will not recur.  I am not so sure as the issue is not due to the client's duplicate reactivations but McAfee tagging it as duplicate, presumedly via a daily scan.

I was unable to get past her to raise interest in this issue with the senior tech. From what I can garner of the previous posts, there appears to be an issue with McAfee's software to check for appropriate use of its licenses.  It may be more problematic for those with multiple computers with multiple licenses as this seems to confuse the algorithm resulting in a "soon to decativate" warning.

As a user, not just annoying but certainly drags it back behind the bunch for future marketshare.  Would I chose McAfee if it wasn't bundled with the computers?  I'll have to be persuaded very hard as my professional time is more valuable to me than to sort these issues and to persuade front line defence support staff that there is a bigger issue.

Hoping not to wake up tomorrow to another deactivation threat...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 37

I would speak to Customer Service who are a free phone call away...click the link under 'Useful Links' above.

They control all licensing matters.

Meawhile I'm bringing this up at our weekly conference call tomorrow.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/08/10 9:00:52 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community