cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asta17
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Should i stay with Mcafee Anti-virus or switch to a better Anti-virus?

I'm using mcafee because I got a free two year subscription and I thought I might as well stay with it. However, recently my computer's been acting a little funny, so I was worried. Also, if i get a new Anti-virus, must I uninstall mcafee first and leave my computer unsafe, then install the New Anti-virus https://vlc.onl? What are the steps to keep your computer clean? Any Help is appreciated, thanks for reading:)

1 Reply
cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: Should i stay with Mcafee Anti-virus or switch to a better Anti-virus?

hello,

your computer acting little funny can have different reasons. most likely is some Windows update not installed correctly perhaps.

to check if your computer could be infected you can run a scan with mcafee.

to do so; 

on the taskbar you see ^ this icon.

if you click on that icon there are some icons overthere aswell from mcafee.

if you click on the mcafee icon you see several options aswell a scan option

go for full scan and your computer is being scanned.

if the outcome is O infections found at the end of scan your computer can be considered safe.

if you have a new AV product and is not Mcafee and you want to use this new AV you need to remove first the current Mcafee version from your computer.

when it is removed Windows has its own AV called Windows Defender that will take control in the meantime for protecting your computer.

in the following article is described how to remove Mcafee AV from your computer;

McAfee KB - How to remove McAfee products from a Windows PC (TS101331)

use option 1 and when done do a reboot for your computer and use option 2 after from the article aswell.

hope this helps answering your question

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community