Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
generalcarh
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Should I turn off Windows Firewall

Jump to solution

Since McAfee AntiVirus 2011 Plus has firewall feature, can I safely turn off Windows Firewall and Windows Defender after McAfee is installed?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Should I turn off Windows Firewall

Jump to solution

The installation of McAfee should have automatically disabled Windows Firewall, but if it is still on then turn it off.  

Also the McAfee installer disables Windows Defender, that's only to prevent possible clashes while installing, you can safely use it alongside McAfee as a supplementary malware defense so I would reactivate it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

The installation of McAfee should have automatically disabled Windows Firewall, but if it is still on then turn it off.  

Also the McAfee installer disables Windows Defender, that's only to prevent possible clashes while installing, you can safely use it alongside McAfee as a supplementary malware defense so I would reactivate it.

danjpalmer
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

This is showing as not answered so I will just make sure you've been able to solve this issue.

The answer is yes, you can safely turn off the Windows firewall (how to: http://www.helpmewithmycomputer.co.uk/windows/windows7/howdoidisablewindowsfirewall.html) and just have McAfee running.

There is never any need to have more than one firewall running on the same computer, it will just cause conflict.

Best wishes

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Thanks, I marked it answered.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community