cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halhart
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Security Center or Total Protection

The PC I bought is asking me to renew my Security Center subscription at a rate of $59/year but it looks like I can buy Total Protection 2012 for a fraction of that cost.  Everytime I try to look at a product comparison I'm directed to a Security Center Renewal site that is co-branded with my computer's OEM.  I understand they'd like me to renew the Security Center and just move on, but it's a little offputting that I can't even see the differences.

If Total Protection is all the same protection as Security Center just without the nifty name, I'd like to know that.  It shouldn't be that difficult to find the right product.

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Security Center or Total Protection

The term SecurityCenter is merely the name for the user interface you see when you open it on your computer.  Total Protection is the name for one of the several different software packages that one can install.

Unfortunately SecurityCenter always pops up a renewal notice for the full cost, something we have asked them to review for a long time now.

If you want to change products from the current one you purchase whatever you want at the price you want and add it to your account by signing into your account and then going to whatever product page.

If you are changing products it's best to uninstall the old one first, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and then download and install the new one.

Any questions regarding renewals and account matters should be directed to Customer Service - a free phone call - also linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Security Center or Total Protection

The only difference between the two is that McAfee Total protection comes with Online back up for 2 GB Quota whereas McAfee Security center doesn’t have this feature!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community