cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wichee
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Scheduling a Full System Scan

I have a system scan scheduled to run, every Tuesday at 10 pm.  When I check it, it is bumped to the following Tuesday.  I go in and change it on the Tuesday it should run and it runs a short scan scanning 6905 files.  Tonight (which is Tuesday) a manually ordered a full system scan which went fine, so there doesn't seem that there is a conflict.  How to I get a full system scan to automatically run once a week?  The "Schedule A Scan" does not give the option to choose the type of scan one wants run.

P.S.  I have no idea what "In A Place" means at the bottom of this form and why it is required.

1 Reply
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 2

Re: Scheduling a Full System Scan

Schedule scan only does a quick scan and the full scan is actually not a full but only scans files that can carry malware not all files.

This an explanation from the Program manager

McAfee Product Manager, here.  I'll take a crack at explaining how we've changed the scanning technology & why.  But let me first encourage those of you who like the ability to scan a particular file or drive that we are currently working on re-adding that to the product.

What's happened?

McAfee has responded to feedback from users who wanted to be protected, while not paying a heavy Performance price.  One way to accomplish this was by shifting to a more Cloud-reliant Next Gen AV engine.  Instead of carrying nearly 200MB of DATs (virus signatures) on the PC, we are trimming down DATs to about 1/5 the size and offloaded much of what was previously handled by the PC locally, to the Cloud.  Instead of using only signatures & static file attributes, which have to be updated constantly, we are also looking at file behaviors (Dynamic attributes).  The end result is detection that is always getting better through Machine Learning (instead of having to try to keep up by logging signatures of known viruses constantly).

Why are scans not looking at as many files?

With previous technology, McAfee would scan every file, every time - unless scans are customized.  On a PC loaded with a lot of files, this could lead to a significantly long scan time, and depending upon your PC power, some perceivable lag.  With the Next Gen AV, we focus on scripts and anything executable, and those file types which are potentially subject to infection.  But file types, like some media which are not a risk, are not included in the On Demand Scans.  It doesn't mean they're ignored.  Upon access of any file, McAfee is checking for suspicious behaviors - and if seen, the activity is stopped and the file quarantined.  And because McAfee is recording any bad behaviors, the product assists in rolling back to previous state. 

There is never a perfect approach to Security, but with Next Gen AV we think we have addressed Performance concerns while also improving detection capabilities...kind of the holy grail of AV. 

Having said all this, feel free to let me know your concerns.  We design our products for you, so tell me what you want.

Tracy

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community