cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArtieRLT
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Scary McAfee Warning When Attempting to Download GIMP

I tried to download the GIMP freeware from gimp.org which re-directs you to SourceForge.net (or something similar...may have gotten the spelling incorrect).  When I attempt to download GIMP I get a scary message from McAfee about the software containing what "some" consider spyware or malware.  I chose not to continue the download.  Anyone experience something similar?

Message was edited by: ArtieRLT on 7/2/10 1:14:17 PM CDT
7 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Scary McAfee Warning When Attempting to Download GIMP

McAfee must have detected something could possibly be compromised with respect to the warning it gave you.

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

I also have this going on,along with the Mcafee reinstall.I there is something wrong.I tried to download something from 3 differant sites.The advisor red pop up opened and froze my page.Attention all Mcafee contributers i suspect it is going to be another "glitch"

Jack

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 8

Tried the download it is a yellow popup so not critical maybe ask Siteadvisor what they found...  The site has 20 green posts and only 1 red.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/07/10 9:23:39 AM
newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Hey Peacekeeper,

Along with my reinstall problems i was also haven a problem with site advisor.Now site advisor could be right.In which case i would be glad i did`nt download anything bad.But i tried this download from 3 differant sites.Also it freezes my ie8 up.If you notice here i have captured the image of site advisor.The image looks a bit funny.Plus i cant x out of page.If i shink the window.Site advisor remains on my desktop.Is this right?

Thanks for the help Jack

this is image when i - out web page.I can`t x out.

site ad.PNG

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 8

PM me a link to 1 of the sites I want to check what mine does.

newjack
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

OK Peacekeeper i sent you 3.Thanks for your time.Sorry it took so long.Everytime i tried to download the item i would get the pop up & exploror would lock up. I think there is a problem with My Mcafee sec center again.As i checked all the sites and they were all still green.I can`t imagine 3 differant sites marked green would produce a red warning from site advisor.But who knows?   Thanks Jack

ArtieRLT
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

After reading all the posts so far, I can say what others are seeing is similar if not identical to the message I received.  It was definitely red (not yellow) and it implied that the program I was dowloading was associated with or contained malware or spyware.  Fearing how McAfee and this software might destructively interact I stopped until I could gather additional information.  Thanks for your help so far, I hope an answer is forthcoming.

Being new to this forum, what's the next step if an answer doesn't present itself?  Is there a protocol for informing McAfee, do they periodically monitor the forum for user problems, lessons learned, etc?  How does the process work or is there a process?

Message was edited by: ArtieRLT on 7/5/10 10:22:26 AM CDT

Message was edited by: ArtieRLT on 7/5/10 10:23:39 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community