Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Scanning questions.

Jump to solution

Hi, Tracy -- As I noted at the start of this thread, I'm not the most computer savvy person....so feel free to correct me as we go if I need it.  I assume that "allowing McAfee to take up more system resources" means what happens when the CPU Usage numbers go up?  If I'm correct in that, I really prefer that those numbers stay at 50% or lower, which they are, even if it takes longer to complete the scan.  But it's a big jump from the 20-30 minutes a full scan was taking to over an hour and a half, and that's only since this big new update.

I don't use Cloud at all; everything is on my computer's hard drive, then, I guess?

I'd like the idea of not having to do the On Demand scans, but then you end up with the red bar and "Your computer is at risk!" after a time if you haven't scanned.

I appreciate the information I'm getting -- the more I learn, the more I know!

Have a good weekend.

mrshvd3.

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 16

Jump to solution

McAfee using the cloud as it scans you do not need to do anything bar have the PC online. Not having it online still allows scanning but not as safe as being online.

Korgman
Contributor III
Message 13 of 16

Jump to solution

I noticed my full scan yesterday stayed at 1% for a long time as well even though it was obviously scanning files. It eventually finished normally but I can't say if it was longer than the previous one (typically monthly manual.) I now feel more comfortable with the cloud explanation. I was a bit worried at first.

Thanks Tracy

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 16

Jump to solution

As I said they are aware of the issue and problem in fixing time taken will cause cpu spikes especially on lower spec machines so they cannot win. Best we wait and see what they come up with. though....

When scanning via full cpu om my PC (2 year old I74790K ) Cloud AV is 9% to 2% and McAfee scanner service 3-1% so really low cpu usage for me. 28% memory

mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper -- Keeping in mind my original warning of my un-savvyness (smile).....when you say "have the PC online", does that mean my browser has to be open or just that my ethernet wire should be connected?  I'm on cable broadband (ethernet wire, not WiFi).  I do my manual scans with the wire connected, but without the browser open (same as when checking for daily updates, which I also do manually).  Thank you again.

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 16

Jump to solution

No PC connected to the net( modem on) browser activity not needed it can be open or closed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community