cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guz75
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Restore and trust........Again!

Having searched through discussions, I realise the issue of not being able to restore and trust quarantined items that do not fit the 'Possibly unwanted program' category, has been covered repeatedly.

I've also noticed that some of these posters are particularly cagey about the specific files they wish to restore, I'd say for obvious reasons.

I'm happy to be rather more forthcoming and admit, that although I largely buy games for my PS3, I do occassionaly download cracked PC games. I've noticed more recently that altered .exe and .dll files included in the cracked content, are being flagged as trojans and that games I've installed in the past and removed are now having files flagged also. Possibly I'm being paranoid, as I'm aware virus definitions are being constantly updated and maybe these files have fallen into an updated category. But it seems odd that it's files created by a particular cracking group, that are affected.

Being unable to restore these files and given the afore mentioned quarantining, it does feel a little like an intentional policing of illegitimate software, as it's unlikely anyone would send them to Mcafee for evaluation.

Having said that, it's one thing I'm curious about, does anyone know, or have an idea, what Mcafee would do if I were to send one of these files. Would they pass it, ignore it or even report you for it.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of illegal file sharing and whether or not there's any truth to my paranoid beliefs. I don't think it's right that my anti-virus software, that I pay for, can decide what files I'm happy to have on my computer. There's no way that someone that restored a file, that messed up their computer could blame Mcafee for it. As regards the file sharing, I know that my ISP monitors all use of bittorrent software and I have recieved a warning letter in the past for it, so as far as I'm concerned I'm already taking my chances.

I was wondering if anyone knows if a restore and trust for all files is likely to be included by Mcafee and if not can someone recommend anti-virus software that allows this!!!

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Restore and trust........Again!

There will be this facility in the new 2011 version which should be going out later this week, but it will only apply to manual or scheduled scans, not the real-time scanner.

We are fighting for full exclusions but it's an uphill battle.

Meanwhile I've written a few procedures to follow to get a file approved here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

emtjoe
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Can I ask why this is such an uphill battle since it is obvious that most of your customers want it?  Just look at the Artemis discussions!  I am in the process of switching to a competitor's Beta and will only switch back to McAfee once they allow full exclusions.  Doesn't McAfee see that they are losing customers over this?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

They keep arguing that certain people, mostly gamers and file sharers, would make so many exceptions that their machines would be compromised, then they'd blame McAfee.  It's a case of 'you just can't win' I guess.

emtjoe
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

As the comedian Ron White would say, "You can't fix stupid" and you cannot protect people from themselves.  If gamers and file sharers want to trust every file out there then so be it.  McAfee cannot be held responsible if anyone decides to bypass it's security features.  Me, I'm looking for the ability to trust one lousy file that has been on my computer for 2 years and has never done my computer any harm however I would need to take full responsibility if it truly was a malicious file and I chose to trust it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

I agree.  Meanwhile try the steps here: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community