Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 1 of 23

Red Circle with Exclamation Mark

Jump to solution

My PC Tower went in for a service today and all is well. But, when I switched it on I have these red circles with exclamation marks on them. The gentleman who does my service said they were not there when he switched it off. Although McAfee did a scheduled update whilst he had the tower.

I have been googling and trying to find how to get rid of them. Is this connected to the online backup or not. I actually do not use this facility. I believe it is installed.

So how do I get rid of them please. Also any new files I have that I did save to desktop have this exclamation file on them and yet not all of my icons on desktop do.

If I uninstall the Online backup is this safe to do so and will it get rid of them.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 22 of 23

Re: Red Circle with Exclamation Mark

Jump to solution

Hi Chinthanai

I downloaded from My Account that was roughly one year ago on this new PC and have kept it up todate every since. I did the custom installation which installed everything including the Online Backup. I knew the Online Backup was there but have never activated this or used it, as I backup externally.

The Online Backup files were in c\ drive Programme Files but as I said never activated or used it and the progamme never appeared in Control Panel uninstall progammes. Just the McAfee Security Suite, even on the uninstall this the only options where the Security or Site Advisor.  So I have no idea why these Exclamation Icons appeared on my .exe files on my Desktop. The only files I have on desktop was the Nvidia graphics card set up and also the ADWCleaner all my other icons were shortcuts and nothing more.

So for a test I deleted my ADWCleaner from desktop and redownloaded and saved it to desktop - the Exclamation mark appeared.

So another test I deleted it once again,  redownloaded it but this time saved it to my Downloads folder and created a shortcut to desktop. No exclamation mark appeared in downloads folder nor on the shortcut for the desktop - Go figure.

Any new filed I chose to download if saved to desktop would have the exclamation mark.

So hence I have just spent an hour now I completed uninstalled McAfee Security Suite and used the removal too as well rebooted and No exclamation marks on my Desktop  - Hooray

Reinstalled McAfee by downloading it again from My Account as I still have a subscription - thank god.

Used the custom install and unticked the box for Online Back Up.

Rebooted

Hooray no exclamation marks all seems to be ok.

But this seems a very drastic course to take just to remove the icons even though the Online BackUp programme was not actually activated or used at all.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 2 of 23

Jump to solution

Sorry I thought it was installed but looking it is not. I know its on the interface to install but its definately not.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 23

Jump to solution

I moved this provisionally to Online Backup as that is what you mentioned but I have no idea what those red circles with exclamation marks in them stand for,.  Where exactly are you seeing this?

How to Uninstall MOBK:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100745

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 4 of 23

Jump to solution

This is on my desktop

But I will point out I do not have the Online Backup Installed, I went looking for it to uninstall it but it is most definately not there under progammes.

http://i.imgur.com/56XwN89.png

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/03/14 1:56:26 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 23

Jump to solution

OK, I moved this back to General Discussion.   If you don't have Online Backup installed then there's no point in discussing that.   I also entered the image into the post so it shows.

Those icons all belong to Nvidia so if I were you I would ask Nvidia Forums as it appears that some software, possibly GeForce Experience or your graphics drivers, didn't install properly.

Nvidia Forums:  https://forums.geforce.com/

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/03/14 2:00:30 EST PM
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 6 of 23

Jump to solution

Actually not all of them do.

There is one for ADWCleaner

I installed another programme this afternoon a remote for someone to come on in and look and that software had the icon on it as well.

He did says its a McAfee problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 23

Jump to solution

I use ADWCleaner and I have NVidia installed and haven't experienced any of this sort of behaviour.   How strange!     Take what the Service guy said with a pinch of salt as they always blame antivirus for any problems that surface immediately after a service but I'm not saying he's wrong either.   Best to contact Technical Support directly as they can troubleshoot this.

It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 8 of 23

Jump to solution

Can I ask please if I uninstall McAfee and use the removal too as well.

When I log into my account to re download it, it now says Deactivate or Reinstall.

Do I click the Reinstall?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 23

Jump to solution

Reinstall would be the right one. 

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 10 of 23

Jump to solution

thank you and that would download the setup file?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community