cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 51 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

Ok, that's a new one.

Is it possible it just needs the color reset? Right-click an empty spot on your desktop and choose properties. Is Theme set to Windows classic?

OMGmycomputer
Former Member
Message 52 of 231

Somer!!!!!!

Help me. I'm having the worst week ever! I just got my computer back this morining from a complete rebuild. I lost all my data (complete harddrive crash)from dropping my laptop on the ground. I get back my computer download the Mcafee and got the DCOM nightmare. I brought it back to my IT guy and we could not figure the problem out. (every problem listed I had start button etc.)So now he has my computer tonight and is doing a complete reinstall. WHY is this happening to me? When i get my computer tomorrow what should I do. Not download Mcafee? I can't believe this. I pay for this product and its costing more money than I paid for it. I've had Mcafee on all my computers for about 8 years. Please help me. I have not been this depressed in years!!

jhuisman
Contributor
Message 53 of 231

Dear all,

I had the same 5858.dat // svchost problem yesterday night. The advice given here: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68780 (not available anymore) didn;t work at all, neither does running updates or manually replace the 5858.dat file with 5859, or the extra.dat fix. When tried, the McAfee updater at least until 01:30 CET didn't replace the 5858.dat file with a newer 5959.dat file.

HOWEVER: What did work is to start in safe mode, copy from a mem. stick the McAfee product removal tool MCPR.exe (by using DOS commands (copy-paste doesn't work) and get McAfee removed. Then copy a svchost.exe file from another XP SP3 system by mem.stick using DOS commands to c:\windows\system32 and restart.

Now the only remaining issue is to install McAfee again as I am now unprotected. The question is when I do this now: can I be certain I don;t get the 5858.dat file as the last version?

Regards,

Jaco

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 54 of 231

OMG  I'm so sorry to hear this!

I'm actually just working on a new article with a tool to fix this issue, but it's going to take me a little more time to finish the instructions.

Tell your computer guy that all he needs to do is the following:

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode).
  2. Open My Computer.
  3. Double-Click the C:\ drive.
  4. Double-click Program Files.
  5. Double-click McAfee.
  6. Double-click VirusScan.
  7. Delete the DAT folder.
  8. Press the CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC keys at the same time to open Task Manager.
  9. Click File and select New Task (Run)...
  10. Type CMD and press Enter.
  11. In the command prompt window type:

copy %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\

12. Press Enter
  13. After the copy is completed restart the computer.
  14. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

I'll also post here with a link to the tool as soon as I finish the article!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 55 of 231

Jaco,

You absolutely will NOT get the 5958 DAT file. We updated to 5959 around 3pm CST today, so all new installations (and updates) will be ok.

BigJ
Contributor III
Message 56 of 231

SPyron wrote:

Ok, that's a new one.

Is it possible it just needs the color reset? Right-click an empty spot on your desktop and choose properties. Is Theme set to Windows classic?

Hi Somer under appearance and Windows and buttons the setting got changed to windows classic style and I changed it to Windows XP Style and my blue taskbar is back. Thanks for your help.

Jerry

meleaky
Former Member
Message 57 of 231

somer, Im having some of the same issues as everyone else plus...my audio driver seems to be gone. Ive tried all of your advice to no avail.  tried mcafee chat and all that yahoo said was a fix would be forthcoming.  cant see that happening because i cant get online or into mcafee.should I wait for a fix?

chefgirl
Former Member
Message 58 of 231

None of these fixes are working for me either. I have no start menu or bottom tool bar. No internet access on desktop. Thank god I have a laptop to be able to research this.

I was able to restart in safe mode and delete the DAT folder, but I cannot get the file to copy as directed in the command prompt.

When I restart my computer I can't do anything because I still don't have a start menu or bottom tool bar.

This is extremely frustating and I've been at it for HOURS.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 59 of 231

Always glad to help!

dawn2k0
Former Member
Message 60 of 231

McAfee is supposed to protect our Machines not wreak havoc, this patch was worse than any virus it totally knocked out my PC rendering it useless.

Where does McAfee get the idea it's only causes "moderate to significant performance issues" or "We are not aware of significant impact on consumer cutomers"

This situation is a total mess. Presuming our system had a virus, I started in safe in mode but still couldn't do anything,

*McAfee wouldn't open

*Couldn't copy and paste, or drag and drop to back up any files since last back about three weeks since

*No internet connection

*An error messgage on svchost.exe on every re boot

*ITunes and other programmes wouldn't work as files were mssing

WHOLE SYSTEM USELESS

After a couple of hours I finally gave up and decided  to reboot to factory settings.

Have now spent 5 hours putting everything back on and doing all updates.

Also for those of you that have the shut down error since updating to the the new McAfee, its still there on a clean boot so thats not fixed!

I have been a great fan of McAfee, its always done what it says on the box, much better than Norton, but come on McAfee there are some real issues at the moment.

I feel sorry for all those folks who aren't computer savvy and cannot get up and running.

Guess the PC repair shops will be busy today.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community