cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulPlak
Former Member
Message 221 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

to jens1503 :

as you seem to have the risk to have some windows versions mixed up, I'd try to run the SP3 upgrade for your locale again on top of that, if it asks you, choose the repair mode ...

I also removed McAfee on one PC, but it was not such a smart move, because some McAfee part could not be uninstalled from the control panel, and that part is now causing a conflict with the new updated McAfee. I'll try again to remove all with the MCPR (MCafeeProgramRemover) and reinstall again from fresh, but not now, I also need real life work to get done, I'm not paid to play with McAfee products (neither are you, I guess).

And no, no McAfee technician ever talked or wrote to me, neither here nor elsewhere, in case you wanted to know ...

Have a look on the Microsoft support, they must have recieved dozens of messages asking for help too, they also may have useful suggestions hidden under a load of not so useful messages.

jens1503
Former Member
Message 222 of 231

i just re-installed the sp3 update for the right version and language, but still no improvement.

PaulPlak
Former Member
Message 223 of 231

well, just to keep your thinking going on, you may try to open the task manager, display the process tab, sort it by processor activity, and see what are the processes that actually do something. See if there's any McXXXXX doing something (I have them, but it's not unistalled and working normally again), or something else that's not an application that should not be there.

I see I have several instances of svchost.exe (8 or 10) running, so it's definetly not a minor component. So we all painfully found out ...

You can also try to run a registry cleaner, that may track down some unnessary piece of software being loaded, but it's a long shot, and certainly not without danger in an unstable situation.

And last resort of course is reformat and reinstall after data backup. No one likes that. But it may cost you less time then fix the PC in another way without real info or technician help.

And that's probably what a technician would advise you to do by now ... unless he managed to get real information from McAfee !

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 224 of 231

Paul,

Thanks for your excellent suggestions. I just wanted to answer one question for you. The currently posted sdat tool does not require the dat\5958.0 structure to exist. It's possible that jans used an older version that did.

Jans,

Could you try the current tool located here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969 We've had great success with this iteration. Please let me know how this works for you.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 225 of 231

pecos: It's going to take me a little time to test a potential solution. If you're ok with reinstalling, I think that might be faster though. Send me a private message and we'll discuss it further.

jens1503
Former Member
Message 226 of 231

As i already said, i no longer have mcafee installed. I did try the tool but it doesn't work, for reasons above by other users. I managed to get svchost.exe back already, and it's running in my processes - however, still i can barely run any services or network connection.

fab5friend
Former Member
Message 227 of 231

I am still having problems.  I have a Dell Inpiron Mini.  I turned it on for the first time in over a week Monday night (4/26) thinking I should be safe. ha!  McAfee downloaded something and forced me to reboot. Since then I have not been able to boot it up normally.  I can do it in safe mode. I have followed the 2 bulletins on the website plus talked to support on the phone and basically did what what those 2 bulletins said all over again.  They were basically useless.  I have also followed Somer's instructions in post #197 - in particular renaming the folder to 5958.0.  I have also copied the svchost.exe file from my work computer (also windows xp) to my Dell. I still can't reboot.  I now have 2 folders 5958.0 and 5965.0.  Any other ideas?  The tech guy on the phone suggested I uninstall McAfee.  Sounded like a great idea but when I click on the McAfee icon on the desktop it opens a window which is all white and does nothing.  I tried the uninstall tool from the control panel and that freezes up to.  Any other ideas????

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 228 of 231

jens,

Where did you recover the svchost from? It could be a mismatch.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 229 of 231

Fab,

You can use this tool to uninstall your McAfee software: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

You can then reinstall ok. I would recommend running this preinstall tool (it cleans some things up): http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

Let me know how you get along Fab, thanks!!

fab5friend
Former Member
Message 230 of 231

hallelujah!!!    Your link to delete McAfee worked and I was able to boot up normally. I also ran the preinstall tool. I'll wait until I get home from work tonight to reinstall.   Thanks for your help!!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community