cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nixonnic
Contributor
Message 211 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

ok my computer is up and running after the fix but in my DAT folder i have two folder 5958.0 and  5962.0 do i need to delete the 5958 folder now or leave it alone so far my comp is working fine just havent rebooted yet since the fix

pecos
Former Member
Message 212 of 231

Somer, Just wondering if you are there... I am back to work this morning on the affected computer. In answer to your question, the DAT version is 5958 on it. I tried again this morning to receive updates, but the arrow just keeps spinning with no progress--- it just says "checking for updates" for about an hour. Something seems not right. Maybe I should uninstall McAfee and start over?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 213 of 231

Pecos, yes please. I'm not happy that you're still showing 5958 (the offending DAT) on that machine, and I know that if your reinstall it will download the newest dat. Here's the uninstall tool: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

I know I'm probably overreacting, but I don't have any interest in playing with that dat (and I'm pretty sure you don't either). Run that mcpr tool, restart, and get the software from us.mcafee.com again. I'll wait to hear back from you!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 214 of 231

5958.0 should be empty, and it won't matter anyway. 5962.0 supercedes it, you should be fine!

nat38
Former Member
Message 215 of 231

Ok, I am starting to be really frustrated with Mcafee. It is now since Wednesday I cannot fix my computer and I haven't spoke yet to any technician from Mcafee...

I replaced several times the svchost.exe, copied from another computer or restored from a Norton Ghost backup, but nothing happens. I think the problem lies in the windows registry which is damaged, could be this possible? When I type NET START on command prompt window no RPCSS process is listed, that means there is no svchost.exe file running. But in fact I can see on system32 that the file is there and is 14ko.

I understand now that I have to pay some IT professional out of my own pocket to get rid of this issue...

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 216 of 231

Hello nat38.

I'm not sure why the tool didn't work for you, we've had really good success rates with it. Please private message me your contact details and I will see what I can do about getting you some help.

jens1503
Former Member
Message 217 of 231

I'm writing from Belgium.

I have been trying to contact customer support for ages. After listening to some music for two hours on the US support line, i gave up. I do have a life beyond my pc.

When calling the number in Belgium, a voice simply refers to the online contact, that's all. I am very disappointed that a security company like McAfee was able to release the worst virus of the decade. Stop calling it a false-positive "issue", it's a virus as it cripples many pc's. I hope the employee who caused this was thrown out instantly.

Technical:

Meanwhile, I have been able to restore svchost on my pc using a tool i found on the internet. However, the SDAT5958_EM program offered by McAfee does not work, it has the same problem as mentioned 00...above.

svchost.exe is now running on my computer, but i still have barely any services running, both in safe and normal mode. I have no network connectivity, taskbar or sound and still a very slow system. Manually starting the services is not possible. An error appears with the message "error 1068: the dependence service or group cannot be started". But as i said, in Task MAnager under processes, svchost is definitely running.

All the options provided by McAfee, this message board and Google did not help me. Since I do not have the Windows XP cd (i run sp3 Media Center edition) as it was not provided when I bought the computer, I cannot repair or reinstall my operating system. i checked msconfig and all looks normal. I have no clue what the problem is, and while reading through this and other topics, i conclude that this error behaves differently on every system. Apparently it behaves severely on my system.

I am really looking forward to hearing from someone at McAfee to help me out, as this error has already cost me a lot of time and money!

Regards

PaulPlak
Former Member
Message 218 of 231

jens1503, are you sure you have installed the correct SVCHOST.EXE for your system.

The symptons you mention make me think it's not working well ... or maybe it's not yet working because you did not yet run the SDAT5958_EM. While it is in this stae, only command windows will do anything ...

Try getting the right SVCHOST.EXE from the Windows XP SP3 upgrade for your locale (belgium has several as you probably know), assuming you can get to Windows Update on another PC. Expand the file using the -x:targetdir flag when runnung the SP3 install file, it will just expand the files into the directory targetdir without installing. Good luck.

Besides I'm in Belgium myself, but no longer a PC professional since 1997.

As for SDAT5958_EM.EXE, in my experience, it only works on some accounts, so try running it on all the accounts you may have with admin rights.

I've also read in several messages that there must be a DAT subdir on your system for it to work, maybe even a DAT.5958 subdir. Please read the messages of SPryron here above, the only McAfee employee I saw here providing help the best she could, even on returning home for the week-end.

But it's a real nightmare with so many variations of the McAfee product, with all different directory names, and Windows with it's "home" and "pro" variations is hardly any better.

jens1503
Former Member
Message 219 of 231

Paulplak, thank you for your reply.

as svchost.exe is a very basic and essential windows application, i doubt it has different versions for different languages. i got the file from a site (can't find it anymore) that made a tool specifically for this error, with svchost embedded in the tool in case it was nowhere to be found in the dllcache folder (which was, indeed, not the case). I did get access to a few more windows system setting tools now, and the computer is less slow, but still the overall functionality for which i bought my computer, has not been restored.

i also tried fsc /scannow in the command window, which resulted in the pc asking for the windows xp professional sp3 cd. a friend of mine has this cd, and i inserted it, resulting in the repair of a few files untill it asked for the second cd, BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE. so i guess not everything has been repaired. it is also strange that the pc asked for the winxppro cd as i have media center edition in fact installed.

out of frustration i managed to delete mcafee from the control panel software menu. Well i uninstalled everything, so there is definitely no DAT folder or anything related to McAfee still running on my computer.

Taking all this into account, what would you (and mcafee, HELLO?) recommend me to do in order to get this issue finally resolved?

Regards

EDIT: the installed svchost is CORRECT.

Message was edited by: jens1503 on 4/26/10 3:36:06 PM CDT
pecos
Former Member
Message 220 of 231

Somer, I still have not been able to download the 60mb update file to this affected computer--- been trying for 3 days---yesterday it got as far as 53% complete but then I guess it timed out? Can you mail the update to me on a disk or something? My computer is running unprotected until I get that update and make sure it is current. Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community