cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msbabb
Former Member
Message 141 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

My computer will not even start in Safe Mode while holding F8, it keeps going back to the screen asking me which mode I want to start it in and starts the countdown...then nothing, back to the safe screen. What am I supposed to do if I can't even start it in safe mode?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 142 of 231

hey, sorry if this question is redundant, but I need to be sure. You're not holding F8 down continuously, correct? You're tapping it just as you power the computer on? And you are not using a wireless keyboard?

What kind of computer is this please? There are some brands/makers that setup special boot sequences, maybe that's what is going on here?

ZenonB
Former Member
Message 143 of 231

Dear Somer,

I am from Belgium, Europe and I have had many trouble trying to get rid of this new update.

Unforunately, despite the fact I have tried everything you have posted so far, nothing seems to work.

I have successfully deleted de DAT map from program files, I have restarted my computer, but I am not able to open any of the McAfee programs...

I do not have any internet connection either... It has been a few days now and as it is the family computer, It really is very inconvenient.

Can you please give me a phonenumber I can call here in Belgium? I have tried de numbers listed on the website but they seem to be out of reach for us.

yours sincerely,

msbabb
Former Member
Message 144 of 231

I am just tapping F8 before it tries to go into safe mode. It will immediately go to a screen telling me a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to my computer. It also tells me to uninstall any antivirus program I have, but I can't even get to a screen to do that. It is a HP Laptop running Windows XP. Thanks!!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 145 of 231

msbabb: Can you tell us the exact model of your laptop? It's probably got a recovery partition installed which is bypassing the boot menu.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 146 of 231

Bel 02 2750703 om met een vertegenwoordiger van de klantenservice te spreken. Het kan zijn dat u om uw geregistreerde e-mailadres en bestelnummer wordt gevraagd. Telefoonkosten worden mogelijk in rekening gebracht.
Verwachte wachttijd: 10-30 minuten
Openingstijden: 09.00-18.00 local, Maandag t/m vrijdag

Pour parler à un représentant du service client, appelez le 02 2750703. Il vous sera peut-être demandé votre adresse électronique enregistrée et votre numéro de commande. Des frais téléphoniques peuvent être facturés.
Délai d’attente estimé : 10-30 minutes
Heures d’ouverture : 09.00-18.00 local, Lundi à vendredi

BigJ
Former Member
Message 147 of 231

SPyron wrote:

T-Bone:

I'm sorry you feel this way. We're all working around the clock here to try and help our customers, myself included. Our agents are answering phones, but there are a lot of people calling at the same time, so there are delays and hold times.

The solution for your problem is to replace the Windows file svchost.exe. The difficulties lie in 1) finding a copy of it and 2) getting Windows to allow you to manipulate it. We have manual steps that should work, and we're building on those all the all the time. I'll continue trying to help out here in the community as much as I can, and would be happy to get you in touch with our customer service, should you desire.

Thanks,

Hi Somer wanted to thank you again for getting my computer up and running clickly as your instructions worked really well for me late Wednesday night. I did have to try several times to get right placement on the command line. Where there are spaces you must use space there or you will get file not found. Thanks again and hope McAfee is much more carefull with there dats from now on. For awhile at least I will have automatic updates turned off and check for updates manually later at noght.

Jerry

msbabb
Former Member
Message 148 of 231

HP Pavillion dv6000 Laptop. Thanks.

kbates
Contributor
Message 149 of 231

HA at least they are responding to you guys today, got nothing on this board for 7 hours yesterday! Its cool though I figured it out without them, good luck everyone! Dont leave until they help you out because tomorrow they may not respond so quickly.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 150 of 231

Hey Jerry, glad I could help!

Just a heads up, I know you're nervous about auto-updates after this, but the longer you wait between dat updates, the larger the "golden window" is (this is the window between when a new virus hits and a new dat comes down to catch it). It won't make you feel anymore comfort (I'm sure) to know that pretty much all security vendors have burned in the fire which we find ourselves now. As threats become smarter and more advanced, all security vendors must go one step further and beat them at the game. Unfortunately, sometimes this happens. McAfee actually has a very good reputation for not having this issue in the past. In the future, we'll win that reputation back. Today we have to get this resolved.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community