cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbates
Contributor
Message 131 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

Awesome, thanks for all the help...(I'm being sarcastic, just so no one is confused) for a problem you guys caused.  Guess it is off to another vendor, I hear Norton, Sophos, Kaspersky and AVG are nice this time of year...

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 132 of 231

Kbates: Yes, this tool does replace the svchost (by pulling a copy out of your own computer's Windows directory and moving it into place). We've also just updated the FAQ (I'll link below) to include an additional step for the people that are having permissions errors when copying files.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

cheungtoto
Former Member
Message 133 of 231

It seems there isn't any solution for my problem yet......

cheungtoto
Former Member
Message 134 of 231

I try to type this copy %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe  %systemroot%\system32\ . However, it doesn't work. I can't copy any file

cheungtoto
Former Member
Message 135 of 231

It seems i don't have the file name: svchost.exe on my laptop. I try to search for it by typing  dir svchost.exe, but it said can't find the file

What can I do to fix it?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 136 of 231

Hi cheungtoto,

There has been an update to the fix steps that might help you with this issue. Do you still have your Windows XP disc? We can run Windows file check to have Windows repair that file. Sometimes it can't, and it will want the XP CD so it can get a fresh copy. here are the steps to run file checker:

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type sfc /scannow, and click OK.

System File Checker will scan the system and attempt to repair the missing file. If System File Checker is unable to locate a replacement file, it may prompt  you to insert your Windows XP disk. Insert the disk to complete the repair process.

T-BONE
Former Member
Message 137 of 231

Dear Somer Pyron and McAfee corporation,

Your attempts so far has been futile to many McAfee members.

None of your solutions posted has helped me nor many users.

I find it very disgraceful and lack of respect to those who are seeking help and are getting the run around from you.

To top it off, none of your worldwide representatives are answering the phones.

This is not the way to treat your customers.

It has taken me 2 days without any positive results to fix my computer which is my family's lifeline, my kids are unable to get into the school's and their project websites to finalize their tasks and project for their exams. My wife and I have no access to our sites for our work duties.

I now have to send this to a computer store to see if they can fix it and this will certainly create an unnecessary and expense( if they are able to restore our files and programs).

You have just recently deducted the  yearly membership fee for 2010 and this is what I get in return??

My patients is on a very thin line,  I urge you to come up with a definite solution promptly.

Awaiting your response.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 138 of 231

T-Bone:

I'm sorry you feel this way. We're all working around the clock here to try and help our customers, myself included. Our agents are answering phones, but there are a lot of people calling at the same time, so there are delays and hold times.

The solution for your problem is to replace the Windows file svchost.exe. The difficulties lie in 1) finding a copy of it and 2) getting Windows to allow you to manipulate it. We have manual steps that should work, and we're building on those all the all the time. I'll continue trying to help out here in the community as much as I can, and would be happy to get you in touch with our customer service, should you desire.

Thanks,

dendo
Former Member
Message 139 of 231

Hello Somer

info on verification of all Windows files is as follows:-

1.   Tried to run  sfc/scannow which was unsuccessful.

2.   Tried to run sfc /scannow which was successful (After inserting  ''space''  between sfc and /.)  Running time was 1 hour 45 minutes.

3.   No information output at end of run and no instructions on the next ''step''.   What should have happened? and can I assume that all my protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions?

4.   I did not receive a prompt to insert windows xp disc.

5.   Restarted my PC but unfortunately problem remains with McAfee icon disappearing from the task bar.

Finally, I hope  you had a good nights sleep as McAfee staff must be having nightmares over this current problem!!  Let's hope you can find a solution fairly soon.

Best Regards

Dendo

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 140 of 231

'Morning Dendo!

Ok, so after the scannow runs, reboot to safe move and delete the dat folder:
  1. Open My Computer.
  2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
  3. Delete the DAT folder.

After that, see if you can reboot to Windows normally. Once you get in, uninstall and reinstall McAfee and you should be good to go.

And thanks for the kind words! I got about 4 hours again, but that's enough to get me going again!

on 4/23/10 8:47:30 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community