cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legnonefan
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Real Time Scanning uses up to 90% of processor time

I have an Acer laptop running Vista Home Basic Operating system. When opening Firefox (v8.0) the machine freezes. When task manager opens it shows a program called 'McAfee On Access Scanner' using between 25 and 90% of the CPU time. The support 'chat' (484570-802733120) did not yield any explanation, acknowledgement or cure to the problem, perversly suggesting I chat on the faulty machine.. which was frozen. Is anyone else having this problem?

Many thanks.

LF

2 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Real Time Scanning uses up to 90% of processor time

Hi LF,

Please let us know the below details on the affected system

What is the operating system ?

Service Pack :

RAM size :

Open Internet explorer – click on Tools – Click Windows Update and install any latest updates available

Open McAfee Security Center – Click on About and let us know ;

McAfee Virus Scan

Version : -

DAT :-

Regards,

legnonefan
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Real Time Scanning uses up to 90% of processor time

Please find the information you requested below:

Hi LF,

Please let us know the below details on the affected system

What is the operating system ? Please see original post.

Service Pack : 2

RAM size : 1GB

Open Internet explorer – click on Tools – Click Windows Update and install any latest updates available  Windows Update up to date

Open McAfee Security Center – Click on About and let us know ;

The machine was unusable with McAfee installed. I have uninstalled McAfee, which restores satisfactory operation. So the information you request below is unavailable. I have also cancelled auto renewal until you can offer an explanation for why Mcafee 'hogs' processor time.

McAfee Virus Scan

Version : -

DAT :-

Regards,

NjW.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community