cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woodplumpton
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Real Time Scanning Will Not Stay On

I keep getting messages saying that my computer is not protected and that I need to turn on real time scanning but it only stays on for about 2 seconds.

The virtual tech can not fix the problem and the link for the patch in FAQs does not work.

Is there a simple way to sort this problem? I can not do anything too technical but I need my virus protection to work.

How do I get to an on line technician to chat with? The customer support seems not to want to let me do this.

10 Replies
tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 11

Re: Real Time Scanning Will Not Stay On

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100903

That KB article contains four steps, any one of which may address the issue. 

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
woodplumpton
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

You do not seem to understand that the KB article is not very helpful and does not give you the information neede to fix the problem The link to the patch, for example does not work and if you are a non-technical person all the tech jargon is difficult to navigate your way around. What one wants from this McAfee software is something simple that does not require a high level of tech knowledge to use.

tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Woodplumpton -

Unfortunately, this particular issue is a sticky one.  I assure you our Development teams have this at the top of their list of issues to address.  In the mean time, the KB provided includes the known 'potential' solutions.

The 'oas-disabled-fix' link works fine for me.  Are you saying the link was dead, or the download failed to address the issue? 

Your frustration is understandable, and hopefully we'll have a fix built into a product update very soon, which will make all this moot.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
lonewarrior601
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

I actually have experienced the same problem myself ... automatic updates for my Windows XP made my computer shut down while my McAfee updates were in progress. The internet was out for some crazy reason, perhaps due to the weather, and so my updates were frozen, I believe, and were probably half-way done when the computer shutdown.

Now, my computer seems fine, but the 'real time scanning' is not, like woodplumpton describes - the bar turns green only for about two seconds before reverting back to red.

I tried the first step in the KB article, and am in the process of the second one, although it is taking an insane amount of time, and I'm not sure if it's accomplishing anything.

If that does not work, I will attempt the third step.

Thanks for your help, tromine, and I do hope that McAfee can create a product update soon ... btw, do you think it would be at all helpful to do a system restore?

Thanks!!

-JT

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 6 of 11

lonewarrior601 wrote:

I actually have experienced the same problem myself ... automatic updates for my Windows XP made my computer shut down while my McAfee updates were in progress. The internet was out for some crazy reason, perhaps due to the weather, and so my updates were frozen, I believe, and were probably half-way done when the computer shutdown.

Now, my computer seems fine, but the 'real time scanning' is not, like woodplumpton describes - the bar turns green only for about two seconds before reverting back to red.

I tried the first step in the KB article, and am in the process of the second one, although it is taking an insane amount of time, and I'm not sure if it's accomplishing anything.

If that does not work, I will attempt the third step.

Thanks for your help, tromine, and I do hope that McAfee can create a product update soon ... btw, do you think it would be at all helpful to do a system restore?

Thanks!!

-JT

Hi JT,

Unfortunately, McAfee made Users helping Users harder, because I have absolutely no idea, which build of MSC or MVS you are using. Information is found in About.

I have experience with this problem, because it occurred during a Beta Build and it was fixed.

No System Restore doesn't fix the problem.

lonewarrior601
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Thanks, thecreator - I was eventually able to fix the problem with the McAfee Virtual Technician. Many thanks!

Just a quick Q for future reference, in the event that I need to ask another question, what do MSC/MVS stand for? I assume it's some sort of information that I need to include in the post to enable other posters to more effectively deal with my problem, but I'm not sure ... and this can be found in the 'about' section of the forums?

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 8 of 11

Hi lonewarrior601,

MSC = McAfee SecurityCenter

MVS - McAfee VirusScan

Basically all initials are the first letters of the words.

And the Builds are found in the About Section of McAfee SecurityCenter, not in the forums online, because the forum, doesn't know what you are running.

Might wish to include the Builds in your Profile Signature, like mine is.

daviddudleyames
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

I have had this problem crop up yesterday on mycomputer.  Real time protection turning itself off.

Ran Malwarebytes and found 6 objects in the registry andcleared them.  Problem still occurred.

Removed the free McAfee Security Scan Plus, as a preliminarystep to uninstalling and re-installing McAfee, rebooted my computer and voila,no more issue. Did not have to remove McAfee, just the Security Scan Plus.

If that does not work or you do not have Security Scan Plusloaded and running, get another security program.  The time involved in troubleshooting thisissue or fixing an issue should a problem occur is not work the less than $50it would cost for another program. This has been going on for a few months andis not fixed yet.  If the price is a problem there are plenty of free anti-virus and firewall programs available.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 11

Had you rebooted after malwarebytes? Sometimes this is necessary to clear malware issues. Just wondering as Security scan usually not a big issue. If you have the real deal it is not necessary.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community