cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Octopus
Contributor III
Message 1 of 18

Question about the McAfee Virtual Technician

Just a quickie question. I was trying to use my MVT for the past few days and it keeps giving me this.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/29vj8yf.jpg

I'm connected to the Internet. I was wondering what the problem is. I've been doing this for the past couple of days. I even tried to reinstall it and get the same problems.

17 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

Re: Question about the McAfee Virtual Technician

Moved this to "Other McAfee Consumer Products" as it's not really a Community problem.

Like all McAfee software, the tool relies on an up-to-date version of Internet Explorer being installed and at its default settings, even if you never use IE.

Make sure that's done, also check your Windows Network to make sure only one Internet connection is active, as that could confuse the software..

One last thing, make sure that the MVT is the latest version by downloading it from https://mvt.mcafee.com/

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 3 of 18

the tool relies on an up-to-date version of Internet Explorer being installed and at its default settings, even if you never use IE.

Wow really? I have IE7 but I haven't activated it for years. I do everything through Firefox on my computer. That is my default browser. I don't even know how to launch IE anymore because its been so long since I used it.

My Mcafee safety scanner and program and updates all run fine. I have trouble understanding why only the MVT is affected with an old IE browser that is never used.

Also when I try to reinstall it I get this message

.http://oi59.tinypic.com/nqnshu.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 18

Click your Start button, then All Programs.  It's listed there.  What operating system is this?

In any case you should check Windows Update and maybe look at hidden updates to see if the upgrade is hidden.

If you've never touched it then it will already be at default settings.  You really must keep all aspects of Windows up to date as many processes use IE without you even knowing it.

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 5 of 18

I'm using Vista. My computer is from 2007. Should I update my IE to 9? (I dont think Windows Vista can support the latter ones). I never thought to update it because I still get IE7 updates from Windows.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 18

Yes, update to IE9, far more secure than IE7 ever was.

I trust this is Vista SP2 - you can check that by right-clicking "Computer" on your desktop or in the Start Menu and selecting Properties.

I was using Vista until recently so you should be fine once IE is also up to date.   Vista has a bit of life left in it yet 😉

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 7 of 18

Yes I have Vista 32 bit. I heard all these horror stories about IE9 like this here

Five Reasons not to "Upgrade" to Windows' Internet Explorer 9 | ZDNet

But I guess I'll give it a go.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 18

That's 4 years old......I think things have changed since then !!

Anyway good luck and by the way, what was the reason for running the MVT in the first place?

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 9 of 18

I just like to do periodic checks on my Mcafee from time to time. So the other day I went to use the MVT and I noticed it wasn't working.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 18

Understood, and that's not a bad idea.

Of course it's just possible that the MVT servers were down at that moment, but anyway, it's good to make sure your system is up to date.

😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community