Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Question about the McAfee Virtual Technician

It's possible that MVT downloads come from more than one server. I ran it earlier and had no connection problems; my download came from a server with IP address 161.6913.32, as shown in the results from a ping request to mvt.mcafee.com

You can check which server MVT is running on by opening a command window (Start-->Run-->cmd-->ping mvt.mcafee.com)

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 18

I have to concur with Collegue Hayton, he is quite right,,on numerous occasions in the past, I have noticed such. Having said this, I very seldom utilize 'MVT' unless a problem arises.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Could someone post the screencap of the error?-- many application use WinINet API s... if the issue still exists -- please reset the browser - MVT will connect to McAfee server onl y if the connection is secure so reset the Internet settings will bring them to optimum and hence recommended.

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 14 of 18

I posted a screencap of the error windows in my first post. I reset my Firefox browser but I still can't connect to the MVT!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 18

Back to my first response, try resetting IE,  (Advanced tab if you are up to date with IE as I mentioned  there) see if that helps.

IE does not have to be your default browser but it must be updated and at default settings for McAfee software to function properly

Many other Windows processes also rely on it.

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 16 of 18

The question I have is, if IE (which I don't even remember how to use since its been 5 years since I've used it) needs to be up to date for MVT to work, why doesn't that apply to other McAfee programs? Why is my main McAfee program running smoothly and updating regularly? Why is my Safety Scanner (I love that green "M") working every time I launch my Firefox browser and protecting me from malicious sites?

It doesn't make sense that these things work but the Virtual Technician doesn't if its a problem with an outdated browser that gets about as much action on my computer nowadays then I do in my bedroom.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 18

It does apply to all McAfee software as I've already stated.   It's just another program you have in your Start/All Programs menu so very easy to find.

It does not have to be your default browser but does need to be up to date and at default settings.

So please update it it it isn't IE11 (In Win7, 8 or 8.1).

To set it to its default setting go to Tools/Internet Options > Advanced tab and click  Reset and OK all prompts.

Another way of reaching those settings without even opening it is Control Panel (in Category view - i.e. a menu rather than a list) >  Network and Internet > Internet Options (Go to Advanced tab)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 18

All you have to do is go here and download the appropriate one for your country:  Download Internet Explorer 11 - Microsoft Windows

After installation it will ask once if you wish to make it the default browser to which you simply click No.

Once done, do the reset I explained and hopefully MVT will work.

If you continue to have problems Technical Support is free by phone or online chat and linked below but they will expect your system to be up to date, so try this first OK?

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community