Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_14087
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Problem obtaining latest DAT file

Jump to solution

Hello,

McAfee is telling me that my computer is not fully protected because the detection signature file is between 8 & 29 days old.  In the past I would run MVT and that would fix the problem.  However, for the last ~2 months, when I run MVT, it says it cannot find any McAfee products on my machine, even though I recently renewed my subscription for several products.  Since I can't use MVT, I click the "Fix" button on the Security Center home screen, after which I get a window that tells me that the problem is being fixed.  This window disappears after 1 second, after which the Home screen states "Fixing your protection items ..."  It's been that way for about 4 hrs. now.  What's going on?  I would much prefer to run MVT.  Any ideas on how to fix it?

I am running Windows XP service pack 3, if that matters.

Thanks,

Joel

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Problem obtaining latest DAT file

Jump to solution

Hi Joel,

Some Internet proxy servers require you to enter a username and password to authenticate. McAfee products are not able to simulate this process, causing updates to fail and signature files to be out of date.After 8 days, the McAfee protection status icon will be displayed in the system tray. Double-clicking the icon will open McAfee SecurityCenter which will report the problem: Your signature files are 8-29 days old.

Please follow the below steps to update the virus scan:

1.Check whether the system clock is set right

2.Check and delete if you find any other secuyrity software in C:/program files & comon files.

3.Run the tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSCPRXFIX.exe and restart the computer.

4.open security center & check for updates.

Kindly report back if you have any issues.

Regards,

Dinesh K

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi Joel,

Some Internet proxy servers require you to enter a username and password to authenticate. McAfee products are not able to simulate this process, causing updates to fail and signature files to be out of date.After 8 days, the McAfee protection status icon will be displayed in the system tray. Double-clicking the icon will open McAfee SecurityCenter which will report the problem: Your signature files are 8-29 days old.

Please follow the below steps to update the virus scan:

1.Check whether the system clock is set right

2.Check and delete if you find any other secuyrity software in C:/program files & comon files.

3.Run the tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSCPRXFIX.exe and restart the computer.

4.open security center & check for updates.

Kindly report back if you have any issues.

Regards,

Dinesh K

user_14087
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Dinesh,

Thanks.  That worked.  Is this a one-time fix, or will this work with future DAT file updates?  Also - how can I get MVT working again?    Joel

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community