Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Portal for threat submission

Why not anyone from McAfee is listening to customers review. 

I wonder why still no portal for threat submission is provided. The default method of submitting a virus is by sending an email to avertlabs which is no longer feasible as no mailing service is allowing to attach a password protected zip or rar files anymore. 

Why not provide a portal similar to dispute submission one or the one which is used for whitelisting ? 

Sending samples via email never worked before. Why not a dispute is created and it should be resolved like a ticket system similar to url classification. Any employee from McAfee answer to me. How long will this issue be there ?

8 Replies
The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Portal for threat submission

Can a user send samples (which are not detected / False Negative) to Dispute or allowlisting method ? So that personal efforts are taken by McAfee teams to mark that sample as malicious ?

The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 9

@CraigSchmugar please look into this matter. This issue cannot be overlooked from a consumer point of view. Provide a portal for threat submission. 

CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Hi @The_Eagle_007,

Thanks for your feedback. We will investigate a more involved ticketing system approach for the long term, but in the near term we will consider expanding the current submission form to accept malware as you've suggested and circle back.

The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

So whats under the plans to improve malware submission ? Is there any new approach on which work has already started ?

The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

@CraigSchmugar  tell me if there is a new threat submission process in line and soon be introduced. How long can it be expected ? 

Apart from this issue I have noticed spike in CPU usage of my PC. It happens even when the system is idle or sometimes occurs when browser is running. Which is not normal as if a cryptominer is running. I am 100% sure its because of McAfee. As other users have complained a out this issue in the forum recently. So is there any fix over which McAfee teams are working on ?

CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

@The_Eagle_007 I do not have a timeline on the submission process change at this point, but to set a realistic expectation it will probably not be soon for multiple reasons. The request is less common than others, and there is a workaround (submitting to VirusTotal for cases where email submission is not viable). I understand this is not the news you would like to hear and ask for patience as we work to make improvements.

As for CPU spikes, I am aware of a WebAdvisor issue that was addressed with an update released a few weeks ago. Given your description, it sounds like this may be a separate issue that I need to look into the status of.

The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

@CraigSchmugar please elaborate the workaround for submitting the virustotal cases ? I am really dissapointed that McAfee is unable to do the simplest thing for providing a threat submission process which is viable.

CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

@The_Eagle_007 I understand. You can submit to VirusTotal and McAfee will automatically receive and process samples that are not already detected by McAfee in VT.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community