cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
confusedperson
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Please help, Mcafee won't scan at all and strange missing file causing problems?

Hi I'm new,  I hope someone can help me, I'm not sure what to do.  Yesterday Mcafee wouldn't scan I just click on run a scan and when I try to select a scan it just doesn't do anything and freezes on the select a scan page..  Also it keeps warning me that real-time scanning is off and even if I try to put it on it just doesn't come on.  I ran virtual technician from the website and it states that everything (virus scan, cleaner and shredder, parental controls, firewall, etc) all of them are flagged as having this problem:  Product configuration XML file missing.

I can uninstall and reinstall using the clean up tool I just downloaded but will this fix the problem?

Also I have a subscription for 3 devices and have two already in use, if I reinstall will this use up my final 'user'?

I have windows 8.1 if that's relevant?

Please help I'm not sure what to do, I don't even know if my laptop's protected at this time .

3 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Please help, Mcafee won't scan at all and strange missing file causing problems?

​,

It sounds as though your installation has become corrupted ( It happens). I would suggest that you indeed perform a Uninstall/Reinstall following the procedures as you mentioned.

However I would as a second opinion, run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free) followed up by running Malwarebytes AdwCleaner to make certain you have anything untoward on your system before doing so.

These superb applications and more can be obtained here;

Please apprise us of your outcome..

All the Best,

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

Re: Please help, Mcafee won't scan at all and strange missing file causing problems?

Moved from > Support Forums to General Discussion > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I might add that there is no need to be concerned in regards to your additional devices, as you have *Unlimited* numbers of devices to protect,as long as you have a active subscribed subscription.

I hope this helped..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community