cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 27

Re: Online backup used to take 20 minutes, Now still running after 9 hours.

Technical Support are the best people to work this out.   I agree a new drive shouldn't have bad blocks.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 12 of 27

Hi kjdroid I would suggest you to run a SMART( Details here ) test on your hard drive and check its health.

Coming to memory usage you can limit McAfee to use less resources by selecting:-

-Real Time Scanning

-Real Time Scanning Settings

-Scan Using Minimal Resources.(Option Available from Version 12.1)

You could download the latest version of Online backup client from here

Just Uninstall McAfee Online Backup from Control Panel and Reinstall by running the above application. Make sure to take a look at the backupsets before uninstalling McAfee online Backup.

kjdroid
Former Member
Message 13 of 27

I ran a chkdsk /r, and then ran the malwarebytes full scan which completed successfully with no malware/viruses detected.   But when I tried to

run McAfee full scan it crashes the computer again.  My hard drive is fairly new, I just replaced it in late MArch.  And when the previous disk

was destroyed, it was during a McAfee full scan.

Also, when I look in the control panel, there is no standalone McAfee online backup,

just McAfee internet security, McAfee Secutiry Scan Plus, and McAfee Virtual Technician.

Do I just uninstall McAfee internet security? And does the MOBK-2_18_1_235-45071 reinstall everything?

Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 27

Uninstall Security Scan Plus as that could be the cause.  It's a free optional tool that you don't need, it downloads with Adobe products and some others, so it helps to keep eyes open when downloading/updating 3rd party products as they often include unwelcome guests and McAfee isn't alone there by the way, they include Norton's equivalent and a number of toolbars too.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 15 of 27

Hi kjdroid As Peter said you can uninstall Security scan plus which could be the cause for crash. You can install MOBK 2.18 (no need to uninstall McAfee Internet security) for backing up your data alone. It doesn't reinstall everything(virus protection, internet security).

kjdroid
Former Member
Message 16 of 27

My frustration level is about to explode!  I finally decided to uninstall and reinstall McAfee.   I followed the instructions

on their web site,  Uninstalled through the contol planel and then ran MCPR.

I received a Cleanup unsuccessful message, so I opened the log file and did a save as ....

Then I tried to contact McAfee Technical Support, but it did not even recognize my email, so I couldn't

log on.   So I went to phone support, and allowed the technician to remotely control my computer

so we could finish the uninstall and then reinstall McAfee.

Then when we tried to scan again, the computer crashed immediately rather than after a few minutes.

I rebooted, reconnected our session, and then the computer crashed just by merely opening the internet security

scan icon.

Then when I tried to reboot it told me to run the repair program.   I did, but when I reboooted, the computer crashed

after a few minutes without me even touching McAfee.  I waited for an hour or so to rdeboot, because I suspect overheating was an issue.  Now it is rebooted, but I still haven't tried any McAfee functions yet because I wanted to

at least get this message out before crashing the computer again.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 17 of 27

Hi kjdroid Could you let me know the Service Request # that you got from the previous technician so that I could get back to you..!

kjdroid
Former Member
Message 18 of 27

Several service requests since June 30:

Although I think that maybe overheating may be an issue also.

Some of the Toshiba forums have mentioned similar problems with McAfee causing

overheating of Toshiba laptops.

When I first started having this problem,  I started setting my laptop on a block of blue ice when

running a full scan.  That solved the problem for a while, but since the first of June, that hasn't even worked.

I am thinking of disassembling my laptop and blasting with compressed air to see if that will

fix the problem.   I did finally run a quick scan without it crashing, but haven't yet retried full scan

or online backup.

Message was edited by: kjdroid on 7/14/13 7:26:48 PM CDT
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 19 of 27

Hi kjdroid can I know the RAM installed in your computer. The details of the pagefile.sys and virtual memory would help here.

kjdroid
Former Member
Message 20 of 27

RAM is 4.0 GB  and paging file is 6030 MB.   i think the paging file was set to 6030 MB by the technician during the remote

session this past Saturday.   I haven't tried the full scan yet with this new setting.

Message was edited by: kjdroid on 7/15/13 7:27:11 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community