cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjdroid
Former Member
Message 1 of 27

Online backup used to take 20 minutes, Now still running after 9 hours.

If I right click on the backup icon on the tool bar, it just hangs in the "Preparing to Backup" state and never gets past that.

If I bring up the status window and initiate the backup from there, then it gets through encoding but then the actual moving of the files

takes so long that I end up cancelling the backup.  Everything worked fine until June 25 and then I started seeing this problem.

I am only backing up 48.4 MB,  I started over 9 hours ago and it is only 28.9% done.  When I look at the status window, it always seems to

say

communicating with server.....       current bit rate 0.0 bps.

When I look at the history prior to June 25, the backups showed transfer sizes of 19.5 and 51.7 MB with respective encoded

sizes of 40.6 and 52.3 MB.   And these only took about 20 minutes.

Is there some new "enhancement" to online backup which was part of their updates?

Thanks

And now I look at the status window, and it says the backup is only 17.5% done.   And the Estimated time to completion: is mostly

unknown, but it occasionally it will randomly show times from between 4 hours to 22 hours. 

And now after typing the above two lines, status is back to 26.4% and Estimated time to comletion: 6 hours 47 minutes.

It appears even the status is unreliable.

Message was edited by: kjdroid on 7/6/13 7:36:51 AM CDT
26 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 27

Re: Online backup used to take 20 minutes, Now still running after 9 hours.

I moved this from the general area to Online Backup so it will get the attention it deserves.

I would imagine that perhaps the servers are not functioning as they should, if your other online activities are behaving normally.

It's probably better for you to contact Technical Support and ask them to check it out.

They are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, it's free by phone or online chat.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 27

Hi kjdroid sorry that you're having trouble backing up your files. Could you let me know the version of Online backup client you're using?  The latest version is 2.18. It would be more helpful in proceeding further with this issue.

kjdroid
Former Member
Message 4 of 27

Wow, I am really out of date.  My version is 1.16.4.0, but I still don't see why that would make the backup go from 20 minutes to never

completing until I finally cancel it.

kjdroid
Former Member
Message 5 of 27

I am disiluusioned with their tech support.  All they tell me is that I probably have a virus and I need to buy another support package

in order for them to remove it.  Aren't they supposed to protect me from viruses in the first place?

Also their full and quick scan keep crashing my computer, although that is probably an issue for another thread.

but thanks anyway

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 27

I would let Selvan help you, he's an expert.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 27

While you are waiting use the scanners in Peters signature to ensure you are hopefully free from nasties.

Use Stinger New version needs to be reinstalled each day

Getsusp (add your email to the program's preferences)

Malwarebytes free do not install the paid full version trial it will clash with Mcafee.

Superantispyware

Sounds server issues.

kjdroid
Former Member
Message 8 of 27

I was having the same problem with malwarebytes.

But I finally did a chkdsk /r, rebooted and ran malwarebytes again.

This time it DID work, and detected no problems.

It seems that the problem was a bad disk block.

i will try the McAfee scan again.  If it turns out the problem was the bad block, then I will be

even more disappointed in McAfee for trying to hard sell me their service contract

I don't think the bad block is related to the backup because

the backup problem is a lot more recent than the scan problem.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper fixed the chkdsk command line on 7/07/13 5:46:52 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 27

Support are told to plug that virus removal service.  All the big antivirus companies so the same thing.  There's always a free alternative if one does research and has plenty of patience and time.   Some people don't so they'll pay whatever, it's called good business.   To you and me that may nopt seem to make sense, I know.

Bad disk sectors can occur for no apparent reason, I recently had a bout of them and ended up replacing my hard drive because I couldn't correct them.   Sometimes using chkdsk /r - which repairs, will fix things.

Is the backup still taking forever?  If so I would reopen a case with Support but insist it is not a virus and escalate the issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/07/13 6:10:41 EDT AM
kjdroid
Former Member
Message 10 of 27

I haven't retried the backup since fixing the bad block.  I'll try later today, but I will cancel it if it just

hangs after 20 minutes rather than waiting for 9-hours.  I just replaced my hard drive at the end of March,

so I didn't think a bad block would be an issue so soon.

Sometime in February or March, I got an update from McAfee that caused the memory usage to really increase.

Before that, my baseline memory usage after rebooting was about 30%.   Ever since that "upgrade" my baseline

memory usage is over 50%, and the big memory hog is the mcafee on-acess scanner.

Wierd that they would upgrade that but still leave me with such an old version of the backup.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community