cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
certacito
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Online backup and network access Server

I have just subscribed to Online Backup (Mozy) to use it as a backup to my Synology DS410 Network Access Server which is on my LAN. However, when I try to configure the McAfee online backup from my laptop I see no mention at all of the NAS in the screen which defines the folders and files to be backed up. It as if the laptop were not on a network at all. Please can someone tell my what I have to do .... or have I subscribed to a service which cannot do what I seek?

5 Replies
certacito
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Online backup and network access Server

I had a long session with second line support yesterday. The end result after over an hour was that the McAfee on-line backup product is not capable of being used to back up the Synology DS410 network access server where my data is located (or any other NAS on anyone elses home network). In my opinion this is a weakness in the product and the engineer at second line has already suggested to the Product Manager that this wekaness should be rectified. We shall see!

sboz
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the post.  Does it support other NAS type storage?

I have a drive hooked up to my Linksys WRT610N router - which is accessed as a mapped network drive, instead of NAS storage.  McAffee's software doesn't find my mapped drive - and thus I can't back up data from it.  This makes it a not-very-useful tool for me at home unfortunately.

latha
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

The current version of the product does not support NAS devices or mapped network drives.

sboz
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Latha.

Is there any way to trick my computer or the software into using it - like mounting a drive or something?  I have multiple products with Mcaffee, and I'd like to use your backup software as well... but if you don't support it - I will have to use someone else's software...

or do you have an idea of when you will support it?

certacito
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Dear Latha,

The inability of your product to provide back-up for subscribers who use a Network Access Server, for example a Synology DS410, seems to be a weakness when these devices are commonplace. Has the product been up-dated since our earlier correspondence and your reply? If not, please will you tell me by when you will have created this capability?

Regards

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community